Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
my son has a 6mm hole in ASD
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

my son has a 6mm hole in ASD

My 21 days old son has a hole in ASD which is 6mm....
Doctor's say's hole will be closure depend upon growth  .
Please tell me my son need surgery or not ?
Tags: ASD
Related Discussions
773655_tn?1340656399
All babies are born with a hole in the wall between the upper heart chambers called a patent foramen ovale (PFO).  Typically these range from 2-4 mm in size.  A 6 mm PFO is larger than the norm, but the natural history is that MOST children will gradually close these over the first 2 years of life.  It is still normal to see a PFO in a 21 day old baby. It is impossible to predict if an intervention will ultimately be required at this early time.  Your child could be re-evaluated between 6 and 12 months of age to see if the hole is still open by echocardiography. It likely will be gone by then, but if not, follow up could be done at a later time.  The indications to close a true atrial septal defect (ASD) include enough blood flow across the hole to enlarge the right sided heart chambers.  So you have time on your side to make things better.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
773637_tn?1327450515
Jeffrey R Boris, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker