Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
operation for subortic membrane present

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

operation for subortic membrane present

My son is  9 years old.After studying of recent echo report,doctor decided to go for open heart surgery.Please suggest me that if another method is available other than surgery?What is the success rate of operation?Is re operation is necessary?How we can prevent for growing tissues again?Please guide me.Echo report is as follows:
SUMMARY:
Bicuspid Aortic Valve
Severe Aortic stenosis(Trans Aortic Gradients:peak/mean 143/84mm Hg)
Mild Aortic regurgitation
Sub Aortic Membrane Present (LVOTO Gradient=140/80mm Hg)
Mild Tricuspid regurgitation (Gradient=27mm Hg)
Concentric LVH
Normal left ventricle systolic and diastolic function
Normal wall motion.
From the information you provided, it sounds like your child has BOTH an abnormal two-leaflet (bicuspid) aortic valve AND a subaortic membrane.  The amount of blockage through the left side of the heart is severe and warrants an intervention.  It is difficult to know if the blockage is mostly at the level of the valve, or mostly at the level of the membrane, or both.  Subaortic membranes can only be treated by surgical removal and there is always a small but real chance that they can grow back.  If the blockage is purely at the valve level, then a cardiac catheterization and balloon dilation of the aortic valve can sometimes reduce the amount of blockage without immediate surgery.  However, some patients with bicuspid aortic valves will need a valve replacement during their lifetime.  You should know that they will never be completely normal, and will always need ongoing cardiac follow up over their lifetime.  Good luck.