Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
pediatric heart problems

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

pediatric heart problems

my nephew(3 weeks old) was found to have his left artery in the wrong place, causing his left lung to be underdeveloped. what is this condition called and what can be done? the doctors say they can operate, but don't know what to do if the artery isn't long enough to be placed where it belongs. please answer as soon as possible our family is very worried about his prognosis.
Dear Mayra,

Based on your description, I have very little information to try to tell what is going on here.  The potential causes of what you are describing include pulmonary artery hypoplasia (very small pulmonary artery) or atresia (absent pulmonary artery).  Another possibility is that the pulmonary artery could be arising from the descending aorta.  Yet another is that there is a pulmonary artery sling with or without collateral vessels.  Therefore, I don’t know name to give this.  I can tell you, though, that it sounds like the left lung has what is called pulmonary hypoplasia.  My recommendation here is that your nephew’s family should make sure that they understand all of the information and ask all of the questions that they need to help make the medical team make a reasonable decision.  If they are not satisfied with the responses and information that they are receiving, they should consider a second opinion for his evaluation and care.