Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
perimembranous vsd

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

perimembranous vsd

my daughter is six days old and was born with 2.3mm perimembranous vsd,my pediatric is telling to wait for six weeks and then she ll do another eco.i am very worried weather her vsd ll close or it ll increase,what problem my baby can get in later stages of her life.  her reports are as follows   Atria:both atria of normal size n shape,inter_atrial septum shows small pfo with left to right flow.
Ventricular systems:both ventricles are of normal size n shape.interventricular septum shows small(2.3mm)perimembranous VSD with left to right flow.
AV and semilunar valves:both mitral and tricuspid valve are normal in size n shape.Color doppler shows normal flow pattern.Both aortic and pulmonary valves are normal in shape n size.
Great vessels:Both great vessels are normal in origin,size and shape and are normally related.
Others:there is no PDA,no co-arct.
imp:Small perimembranous VSD

Tags: small VSD
If you search this forum you will find that questions and concerns about VSDs (holes between the lower heart chambers) are extremely common.  A hole measuring 2.3 mm is small.  These VSDs do not enlarge after birth;  they can stay the same or get smaller, or even close completely.  VSDs located in the perimembranous region (under the aortic valve) have a good chance of closing over time.  Your cardiologist/doctor will observe your child for any signs of heart chamber enlargement, or abnormal developments associated with natural attempts to close the hole, such as the development of a membrane in the outflow tract of the left side of the heart, or prolapse of the aortic valve that can lead to valve leakage.  These complications are relatively uncommon, and the prognosis for your child is excellent.
Sorry your child's been diagnosed. It's a very scary feeling. My daughter was born this summer with the exact same defects as your daughter: a small ASD (aka PFO) and a perimembranous VSD, except my daughter's defect was large.

The docotr was right, these defects do not get larger, and the small ones have excellent chance of closing on their own, and normally don't cause any problems. Again, my daughter's defect was large, she was in heart failure at a very young age, and was booked for open heart surgery - well guess what? Her surgery was cancelled because her VSD started closing on it's own. My daughter is now 8 months old, completely off all heart medications and her defect is so small they expect it to close on it's own.

Try not to worry and just enjoy your baby!