Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
perimembranous vsd(LRTI)

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

perimembranous vsd(LRTI)

Hello doctor my son is born with 2-3mm perimembranous vsd with septal aneurysm, left tk right shunt. Now he is 2 year old. His latest. Echocardiography shows perimembranius vsd 2mm partially closed  by septal leaflet of tricuspid valve with left to right shunt.is this dangerous.if so what should I do.
It always is a concern to me when families have echocardiogram results but do not know what they mean.  That is a sign that a test is being ordered but nobody is speaking to the family about why it is being done or what the results are.  You really should be asking the doctor who ordered the test to explain the results to you.  That is the proper way for people to get their information.  Anyway, a small VSD like this is generally not a risk for any heart failure.  If your son is only 2 years old, there is still a chance that the VSD can close further over time as he grows.  You don't have to do anything special except follow up periodically with a cardiologist in the next 1-2 years, as long as there are no other issues besides the small VSD mentioned on the echo report.