pfo6mm with aneurysm
my 7month old baby had junctional ectopic beats detected incidentally. she is asymptomatic. but on 2decho she has 6mm PFO and septal aneurysm. do i need to take any extra precautions? will she be alright? what is the prognosis. she is not on any meds.
Dear Ajaygp,

A patent foramen ovale (PFO) is a flap valve that all babies have when they are in utero (in the uterus).  After the baby is born, it typically closes on its own.  However, 20-25% of all adults have it remain open.  Without evaluating your daughter, I cannot say for exactly what needs to be done,  I can say that rarely a septal aneurysm can be a source for blood clots to form that can potentially cross the atrial septum and go to the left side of the heart, and from there, on to the brain or other organs.  Your cardiologist will have to advise you based on the specific findings.  If you feel that you are not getting the information that you need, you can always obtain a second opinion.