Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
please advise

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

please advise

My five yr old was recently seen by a new provider he is now referring us to pediatric cardiology. The pediatrician states that she has a grade 2/3 systolic heart murmur that changes and has a blowing sound with a S1 split. I am in the medical field as an occupation. I have looked everywhere for info. I am quite confused and overwhelmed. Please help. What is going on with my little girl.
Heart murmurs are common in children, and most of them are innocent or benign in nature with no underlying heart probelms.  They can be heard at many different phases of growth, especially between the ages of 2 and 6 years.  If a doctor hears a new murmur, they often recommend a pediatric cardiology consultation to make sure the murmur does not fall into the category of a pathologic murmur that might represent a structural heart issue.  The grading of the murmur (ie: 2 or 3 out of 6) does not tell you what the origin of the heart murmur is.  That can only be determined by someone with expertise who listens to the heart murmur and decides if it sounds "normal"or "abnormal".  S1 and S2 are supposed to be split so that is fine. A "blowing" murmur may represent a leaking valve or a hole between the lower walls of the heart (VSD), but again, the accuracy of that description will be determined by the pediatric cardiologist.