Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
post PDA closure

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

post PDA closure
My daughter at birth had a very large PDA. So large that they were unsuccessful with the catherization procedure because of its size. They closed her PDA at 8 months old by going in through her side. I knew her heart was very enlarged due to the PDA. One year later I took her to her follow up appointment. They said her heart was still slightly enlarged. They said to have her come back in 2 years but I insisted on only a year.  They seem to think its a result of it being so large from when the PDA was present and it taking a little extra time to shrink...

Is this possible? I'm worried
Dear Mitchell,
The enlargement caused by a PDA should eventually resolve.  However, without assessing your daughter, I cannot say for sure what the likelihood of continued improvement will be.  That said, the dilation alone shouldn't cause a problem over the long haul unless it worsens.  If she is otherwise well she can be continued to be observed.  The one potential problem could be unrelated to the duct's, which could be a cardiomyopathy, or a primary disease of the muscle.  This may not be able to be determined right away.