Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
pounding heartbeat with clicking noise

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

pounding heartbeat with clicking noise

My 6 r old son keeping c/o his heart pounding and beating fast, at first i thought nothing about it, my sister has mitral valve prolaspe with regeritation. I took him to the PCP yesterday for sinus infection,they listen to his heart for quit some time, then i told them about his sx. they had him jump up and down, lean forward and sqaut several time, finally they told me they were going to set him up for an echo of his heart, they said it is pounding hard and she can hear what she called a clicking noise in it. Should i be worried? he is very active in sports baseball and dirtbike, he never c/o SOB or CP... thanks
If your primary doctor was concerned that your son's heart rate seemed faster than normal at the check up, then it would be appropriate to not only go through with the cardiac testing, but to also see a pediatric cardiologist.  Most children of this age, who complain that their heart is racing, are only perceiving their own heart rate speeded up, and it is not an arrhythmia.  If your doctor thought they heard a click, then checking for a valve problem with an echocardiogram is a good idea.  One also has to remember that things might sound different during an exam when your son is sick, versus when he is well;  the heart rate could be faster due to illness.  So before you jump the gun and get too worried, get the testing done and have him checked by a specialist. The absence of symptoms on his part is very consoling.