question for dr boris
ain dr boris, we have chatted recently regarding my 10 month old daughter and her asd i was just wondering if i could get ur opinion on her recent echo results.
her asd has remained the same size (8mm) but there is now mild(so far) pulmonary valve stenosis and her ecg is showing right ventricular hypertrophy.
thank you again
Dear Firestarter,

Without seeing her actual studies, I cannot comment specifically on this.  We do see right ventricular enlargement (dilation) and/or hypertrophy (thickening) associated with the increased left to right blood flow across the atrial septal defect.  As well, we also see relative pulmonary valve stenosis secondary to the increased flow across the pulmonary valve.  However, I cannot say whether her pulmonary stenosis is relative because of the flow, or true, which can also happen in concert with ASD.  You should discuss the meaning of these findings with your pediatric cardiologist.  If you are not getting the information or education that you think that you should be getting, then I would recommend that you seek a second opinion.