Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
sanjay from india
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

sanjay from india

Hello Doctor,

I am Sanjay form India. My son is of 7 years  old. During his birth he was diagnosied with a VSD of 4mm. Since his growth was normal (weight gain) and no other problems, our doctor asked to get it monitored every 6 months. Till 1 year there was no improvement. During last consulation, when he was 6y 8 months, there is  improvement. VSD size was 5.5x7mm. he has perimembranous defect with high musculer extension anexeriorly PG=55 mg,Dr.sugested me to need surgery

Please let me now, what are the chances of this VSD closure? How much time generally it may take? What if smaller sized VSD left unclosed? Is it harmful if it is left unclosed?

Waiting for your reply...

Best Regards
Sanjay
773637_tn?1327450515
Dear Sanjay,

Without seeing your son, I cannot say exactly what needs to be done for him.  I can say that the likelihood of this defect spontaneously closing is probably quite low.  However, if he is doing well and growing well, he may not need to have it closed.  These defects over time can potentially cause a problem with the aortic valve.  It does need routine follow-up with an echocardiogram to ensure that the aortic valve is functioning appropriately.  But if this remains normal, patients can typically live a normal life with a defect that does not cause any problems.  Again, I would not generalize this to your son without my ability to evaluate him, as your statement does not give me all of the information that I need to make a determination.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank