Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
seeking help for my daughter diagnosed with a congenital heart disease

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

I'm from Philippines i have a one year old daughter diagnosed with congenital heart disease at first I was shocked because iI didnt saw any sign of her having such...when she got a pulmonary illness as severe pneumonia the doctor advised me to have her Echo cardio gram this was the result left ventricular enlargement. left atrium, right atrium and right ventricle have normal dimensions, intact inter-atrial septum,ventricular septal defect,perimembranous; diameter is 0.82mm. shunt is left to right, transeptal pressure gradient is 45mmHg. normal mitral valve, structurally normal tricuspid valve + Tricuspid regurgitation. Normal aorta and aortic valve, pulmonary artery is normal, pulmonic valve is normal, pulmonary artery pressure is elevated, pulmonary insufficiency,mild. normal pericardium.
The doctor told me to proceed with her medication when she arrives the age 4 to 5 years of age she would be operated.....I'm worried because me and my husband are not employed and I'm worried with the condition of my daughter are there anyone who can help us in your assistance because I have known that a lot of cases in U.S. with this condition have survived.
A ventricular septal defect of 8 mm in a 1 year old would be considered a large VSD.  The amount of blood flowing through it is causing the pressure in the lungs to rise (pulmonary hypertension) and enlarges the heart (left ventricle).  This type of congenital heart defect likely requires a surgical intervention relatively soon.  Preferentially it would be open heart surgery to patch the VSD closed.  One could temporize and place a band on the pulmonary artery to temporarily hold back the flow to the lungs and try to prevent the lungs from being permanently damaged by high flow and high pressure.  Medication can be helpful for control of symptoms, but if the hole is large now, it will not likely close quickly enough to avoid damaging her lungs.  Unfortunately, not all areas of the world have access to pediatric heart surgery.  You should speak further with your child's doctor and see if there are any surgical options available to her closer to your part of the world.