Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
"shock" in the heart

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

"shock" in the heart

Good evening, My son is 11 years old and is a former 26 5/7 week triplet #1. He was diagnosed as an infant with cardiomyopathy and is untreated and released from the cardiologist since he was 6 years old. Medication history is: concerta 36 mg qd. My question for you is that he complains of a "shock" feeling in his chest often. We have brought this up to our pediatrician and she does not seem worried. However, as a mother, I am worried. It seems he gets these more and more often and when he does get them it stops him in his tracks for a minute or so and then the pain goes away. Any suggestions please!
Dear Saalbunch,

I am curious as to know what cardiomyopathy your son had, as this may potentially play a part in your son’s symptoms.  There is also a number of questions I would need to ask to ascertain further aspects of the character, frequency, duration, severity, etc., of his symptoms.  However, overall, the sensation of feeling a “shock” is most likely non-cardiac chest wall pain.  I do not believe that his stimulant medication has anything to do with it, either.  I would say, though, that if your pediatrician is not asking a full set of questions regarding the evaluation of these episodes, you may want either to get a second opinion from a different primary care provider or to return to your cardiologist and make sure that there is nothing else going on from a cardiac standpoint.