Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
silent murmur?

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

silent murmur?

We were recently told that my 9 year old son has a "silent" murmur.  I understand that there really isn't a silent murmur, but the doctor explained it as a murmur that can only be heard in one position.  He also has an irregular heart rate.  The reason I took him to the doctor in the first place was because during a baseball game he complained of chest pain after running.  This is not normal for him and he is not someone to complain about not feeling well.  He is also profusley sweats, even sitting on the coach or with light activity.  For the past few years he has passed out at least 1 from spring to fall, usually during a sport.  I attributed it to over heating.  Bu in light of the chest pain recently I am now wondering if it was something cardiac related.  My son did just have an echo on Friday we are awaiting the results.  I know being a healthcare professional myself I understand the heart and how it works but I do not specialize in that area especially in pediatrics.  Could you possibly explain "silent" murmur or a murmur that was heard with him only in one position?  The doctor let me listen to it myself and it seemed quite strong.  I have heard other murmurs, but none quite that loud for better lack of words.  Thank you in advance for your insight.
Dear H Kongar,

This is a gross misunderstanding of the concept of a murmur.  A murmur is is the term that is used when describing a sound created by turbulence of blood flow in the heart or related vessels.  Thus, there is no such thing as a silent murmur; it is an impossible oxymoron.  That said, the criteria for several of the innocent murmurs are such that they can be heard either supine or upright, and therefore disappear in the other position.  Obviously, without evaluating your son, I can't say exactly what it is, but this has a high likelihood.