supraventricular tachycardis
Hello, my 4 year old son was diagnosed with SVT 8 months ago - he is on bisopronol 2.5 mg daily which seems to control him well. We tried an ablasion a month ago - and it didn't work , so he is back on medication. My question is - do these long term use of medications affect him in anyway ? I have heard of stunting growth? any mental issues? thank you. Conny
Dear Conny,

Bisoprolol is in the class of medications called the beta blockers.  Long term use of beta blockade does not cause any adverse effects in patients.  Routine use can cause exercise intolerance, sleep changes, appetite changes, and can be a problem in patients who have asthma or diabetes.  Finally, they can rarely unmask (but do not cause) depression.  However, all of these (except for the depression) go away when the medication is stopped.
This has been a huge help - thank you so much . I was really concerned about the stunting of growth that one doctor mentioned. You've put my mind at ease.