Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
tiny small mid muscular vsd with left to right shunt

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Hello Doctor,

How are you,

I am Sohail Anjum from Karachi - Pakistan

Few day ago I visit the hospital for routine checkup of my Baby age (2.5 months). A doctor for echo advice Echocardiogram (echo) heart test.

We goto the Laboratory for Echocardiogram (echo) heart test and deduct "Tiny small mid muscular vsd with left to right shunt" Laboratory Doctor said that he needed no medical intervention, and was told to come back after 1 year  there was a high chance of the hole closing by itself. The doctor told us that the heart's function was normal. Please let me know your views about his condition. What would be the best way to deal with this problem?

Thanks & Regards
There is alot of information on this website regarding small ventricular septal defects (VSD) and you can certainly refer to those for further information.  If your child has only a small muscular VSD and no other heart abnormalities, then your doctor is correct.  This is a common, benign condition and many of these holes can close over time.  However they do not enlarge, so that is also good news.  As long as your child is eating well and gaining weight and receiving regular medical checkups, then no intervention is needed for a small muscular VSD.