Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
tiny vsd

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

tiny vsd

My daughter is recently diagnosed with the tiny ventricular septa lVSD of size 1.5mm. The Pediatric cardiologist has mentioned that there is nothing to worry and the hole may fill spontaneously, however I am very concerned and wanted to check what are the closure rates for such defect. she is 4 yrs old. she is very active. but her weight is 11kg only. plesase help me what i am do.
Dear Srijani,

As the other comments have said, a 1.5 mm ventricular septal defect (VSD) is a tiny defect and restricts the amount of blood going across the hole.  I do not know where in the septum the defect is, however.  If it is a perimembranous/conoventricular VSD, it may have a chance of causing deformation of the aortic valve as it remains open.  Also, as a four-year old, the chance of spontaneous resolution of this defect is much lower than if she were an infant.  However, there are numerous adults who have small VSDs who not only reach adulthood, they have completely normal lives and lifespans.

Without evaluating her specifically, I cannot say the reason for her weight.  However, I do believe that her VSD is not the cause of it.  She will likely need continued follow-up of the defect if it is in the perimembranous position.  As well, while it remains open, she will need to maintain good dental hygiene:  brushing her teeth twice daily, seeing a dentist twice a year, and flossing appropriately.