Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
unborn

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

unborn

I am 23 weld pregnant and I went in for a u/s there was a white dot on baby heart. They said it not as white as bone I don't understand should I worry. I had the qurd test done came back + for down sydorme. And the cord only has 1 artery. So I am really confusing about everything
Dear Mommy2be,

Without seeing the ultrasound and where the "white dot" is, I cannot say for sure what is happening here.  However, the "white dot", sometimes referred to as an echodensity or echogenic focus, is often seen associated with the mitral valve, the first valve on the left side of the heart.  It is usually near the papillary muscles which attach to the valve, or the valve leaflet tips.  It is a benign normal variant, which means that it does not itself cause a problem.  However, it is seen in greater frequency in patients with Trisomy-21 (Down syndrome).  Trisomy-21 is associated with a high (35-50%) incidence of congenital heart defects.  As well, a single umbilical artery can be associated with kidney disease as well as a higher incidence of congenital cardiac disease.  Therefore, I would recommend that your baby have a fetal echocardiogram, an ultrasound of the baby's heart while in utero, by a pediatric cardiologist.  The cardiologist can then both perform the study as well as explain the significance of any findings.