Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
ventricular heart defect iwth 0.6 mm

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

ventricular heart defect iwth 0.6 mm

Good day!
My daughter had been diagnosed with ventricular septal defect when she was 28 days old.Now, she is already 1 year old but still it's not closing. I am so worried because the doctor advised us to prepare for the surgery of our child. As parent, we looking for the welfare and safety of our daughter. Is it possible not to undergo surgery for our child?  
Dear Rinli,

Without evaluating your daughter, I cannot say what needs to be done for her.  I can say that a 6 mm ventricular septal defect (VSD) is a moderate to large defect.  But, it's not the size of the defect that is important here.  It is the size of the orifice through which blood is passing.  This means that if the defect is partially obstructed with tissue and restricting the amount of blood recirculating to the right side, it does not necessarily need to be closed.  This is what is meant by a restrictive VSD.  Typically with non-restrictive VSDs, the babies are out of breath and/or sweaty with feeds and do not grow well.  These are the ones who routinely need surgery.  If your daughter is one year old, I wonder if your daughter's defect is actually restrictive.  If so, surgery is not necessarily needed, unless there is some other complication.  I would discuss this with your cardiologist.  If you are not getting the answers you need, you should consider seeking a second opinion.