Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
vsd with arrotic valve prolaps surgery

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

vsd with arrotic valve prolaps surgery

Dear Dr
Last year i posted question & as per ur guess my cardiologist also tell me that if vsd is size is very small so that we can wait another 6m t0 1y but now the arrotic valve prolapse & vsd not closed naturally so the cardiologist says go for  open heart surgery in Kokilaben hospital bombay,The paitent is my son which is now eight years old the vsd size is 4mm & RCC prolapse , my question is, what is risk in open heart surgery, can it surely succeeds

Thanking You
Yours truly
sanjay
Dear Sanjay,

Obviously, without seeing your son's studies and evaluating him, I cannot say what needs to happen here.  Typically, we do not intervene here unless there is significant (moderate or severe aortic valve insufficiency) when there is a small VSD that is hemodynamically restrictive.  The risks of heart surgery should be discussed with you by the surgeon performing teh procedure.  You should try to find out how the specific surgeon's outcomes are as well as the overall morbidity and mortality rate of the hospital.  Typically, the big risks are infection, bleeding, electrical heart block (in which the top of the heart does not electrically connect with the bottom of the heart, requiring a pacemaker) and a permanently damaged aortic valve that, despite surgery, still may not function correctly.  There is no 100% guarantee that anything will succeed, and there is variability across both providers as well as centers, so you do want to try to go to a place that will have the optimal outcomes for your child.
Hello my daughter is 1 and half month old .she has two holes in his heart asd 0.5 mm and perimembrenous vsd 4.5 mm. Can surgery repairs these holes. We want surgery within one year.What can we do .plz help us doctors.we are afraid of his future.