Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
vsd

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

vsd

My son has vsd.He hole is 2.5 mm/Good ventricular function.the first time we checked pressure was 50 mm/hg.

after 2 months the pressure increased to 73 mm/hg.he has trivial MR...Can I know when this defect will  be closed.He has high muscular VSD with significant adjacent muscular extension.He is on furoped.He has no signs of heart failure.He puts on good weight.His birth weight was 2.3 kg.He is four months now and is 6 kg...

I want to know whether this hole is small or moderate.And will  he need surgery..?i am afraid of imagining him under the knife..and what is the meaning of significant adjacent muscular extension
Dear Dhruv,

See my previous answer to the first part of your question.  You did add an additional question here.  A VSD that is 2.5 mm is considered small.  Muscular extension means that it extends into the interventricular septum a bit further.  However, in the end, it doesn't really matter because it is considered hemodynamically restrictive, or physically narrow enough to not cause problems.  Although I have not seen him and cannot predict fully without doing so, he is likely to be able to be just fine without any surgery or intervention, and the defect can stay just as it is, if not close on its own with time.