z score of 4.5
My son is 15 yrs. old  and has a dx of human growth hormone delay. He is currently taking HCG since Dec. 2012 and we were just told by pediatric cardiologist that his z score is 4.5. They are sending us for genetic work-up as he doesn't fit the outward signs of Marfans disease. He does have very mild scoliosis and a outward pectus. The cardiologist doesn't know if there is a link to HCG and increasing the size of the aorta. What do you think. For now, he is rechecking us in 6 months, genetic test, and then will fu for 2nd echocardiogram. In 6 months we will have a baseline reading and then we will talk about restrictions and medications.
Dear Hurly,

I am not sure what you were told has a Z-score of 4.5.  I will guess, but the way you are describing it, that the aorta had this Z-score, which means that it is 4 1/2 standard deviations in size above the mean.  Just to clarify, is he taking HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) or HGH (human growth hormone)?  As best as I can see, there is no medical literature that I can find that demonstrates a link between HGH and aortic dilation.  There are other connective tissue disorders associated with aortic dilation, including Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.  However, you can discuss this further with the geneticist who evaluates your son.  Without evaluating him, I cannot say what exactly is going on with him.  However, the cardiologist will continue to follow his aortic dilation and, in concert with the genetic diagnosis, make a determination as to the best course of action for his intervention, if any is needed.