Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
z score of 4.5

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

z score of 4.5

My son is 15 yrs. old  and has a dx of human growth hormone delay. He is currently taking HCG since Dec. 2012 and we were just told by pediatric cardiologist that his z score is 4.5. They are sending us for genetic work-up as he doesn't fit the outward signs of Marfans disease. He does have very mild scoliosis and a outward pectus. The cardiologist doesn't know if there is a link to HCG and increasing the size of the aorta. What do you think. For now, he is rechecking us in 6 months, genetic test, and then will fu for 2nd echocardiogram. In 6 months we will have a baseline reading and then we will talk about restrictions and medications.
Dear Hurly,

I am not sure what you were told has a Z-score of 4.5.  I will guess, but the way you are describing it, that the aorta had this Z-score, which means that it is 4 1/2 standard deviations in size above the mean.  Just to clarify, is he taking HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) or HGH (human growth hormone)?  As best as I can see, there is no medical literature that I can find that demonstrates a link between HGH and aortic dilation.  There are other connective tissue disorders associated with aortic dilation, including Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.  However, you can discuss this further with the geneticist who evaluates your son.  Without evaluating him, I cannot say what exactly is going on with him.  However, the cardiologist will continue to follow his aortic dilation and, in concert with the genetic diagnosis, make a determination as to the best course of action for his intervention, if any is needed.