Pediatric Tourette Syndrome Community
2 yr old showing all signs of tourettes- help

WELCOME TO THE PEDIATRIC TOURETTE SYNDROME COMMUNITY: This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Pediatric Tourette: Causes, Diagnosis, Drugs and Medications, Family and Friends Issues, Living with Tourette Syndrome, Research, Risk Factors, School Issues, Symptoms, and Treatments.

my 2 yr old woke up with a fever and then the next day had excessive eye blinking.  Then the hyper activity came and a whole bunch of vocal and motor tics.  All the dr's told me that he as too young to have tourettes.  I didn't believe them.   Evven the neurologist told me that it was just a transient tic.  His symptoms went away for a week and then came back with full force.  He is blinking, shoulder shrugging, spitting, repeating last words, shaking his head back and forth and throwing major tantrums over everything.  My dh has a facial and shoulder tic that is barely noticeable and he told me that he was never diagnosed as a kid with anything wrong.  I am SOOOOOO depressed and scared.  I am home with him all day as well as my 7 mth old daughter who i now am so worried about too.  My husband is in denial and the dr's wont take me seriously.  They told me to wait it out but it consumes my mind all day.  I cannot ask my husbands mother about how he was as a child b/c she passed away.  His dad said that he was a normal child and his sister said that he screamed and cried alot and had a facial tic.

I am SOOOOO angry.  My poor child has to go through life with this disorder and to have it at such a young age.  I take him to preschool and i am worried that the teachers and other moms will notice and start asking questions.  I know he has tourettes but why do i have to wait a year before he is diagnosed?  I cant believe that all these symptoms will miraculously go away.  My husband travels a lot and i cant handle being with my son.  Not only is watching him tic upsetting me, but his behavior and tantrums, echoing are driving me insane!!!!!!!

How come no one will believe me?
2 year olds are difficult to deal with but when they throw tantrums it is even more problematic.  My son is 17 and has TS and we went through the same thing you are going through.  All I can say is that a diagnosis isn't going to change much.  The tics and the tantrums will still be there.  Stress is a contributing factor, so you need to try to remain as calm as possible.  Let him have the tantrum and the tics at home.  Don't try to make him stop.  At 2 years old, it's not a behavorial issue.  Try to educate yourself by going to the TSA website and reading the great materials they have there.  Don't be angry or depressed.  TS is what it is.  It's not a fatal disease and they are learning more and more about it.  When your child is older, there may be medications that can help.  It's ok if the teachers and other children notice and ask questions.  There is nothing to be embarrassed about.  You have a frank discussion with the teachers about the issue and come up with strategies to address any behavorial issues with your son or the other children.  My son is healthy and wonderful.  I wouldn't change him one bit!  Hang in there.  Educate yourself.  Do what is right for yourself and your child.  It doesn't matter whether anyone else believes you or not.  All that matters is that you love your son.  
i know exactly how you feel. my son is 2 and has reciently starting having tics. im almost positive he has ts because it runs in my husbands family, he has 2 uncles and a cousin with it. but if this is the case and he does have it then it will answer alot of questions for me like why he has sleeping problems and the tantrums and the eye blinking of course. he repeats things alot but i am a first time mom so up until i started doing research i kinda thought that was a normal 2 yr old thing..... but anyways you are most definitly not alone. i hope you get your answers soon.