Pediatric Tourette Syndrome Community
7 Year Old with Tourette Syndrome

WELCOME TO THE PEDIATRIC TOURETTE SYNDROME COMMUNITY: This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Pediatric Tourette: Causes, Diagnosis, Drugs and Medications, Family and Friends Issues, Living with Tourette Syndrome, Research, Risk Factors, School Issues, Symptoms, and Treatments.

7 Year Old with Tourette Syndrome

I have a 7 year old son who was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome about 8 months ago.  I had noticed tics for about a year but didn't know it was neurological.  I am glad to find a group to discuss things with as they arise.

I started giving him Kids Calm Multi-vitamin with Magnesium recently, and, while the tics are still there, he has been having a better time at school.  His tourette's is mild, but it still causes challenges.
hi,

I have a brother with tourrette's syndrome, and I thought I would share some other supplements that might help. Trace minerals, or epsom salt baths, liquid b-complex vitamins, herbal stress pills, omega-3 (fish oil or flax oil). I have played with the doses with all of these supplements over the past 6 months and my brother has been tic free for about 4 months, he has had tics since he was 5, vocal tics since 7. It seems like the symptoms get worse and more nerological disorders apear, and next thing you know they have OCD, and ODD (oppositional defiance disorder), and they are squeeking all day long.. Also we recently took him off of gluten and dairy, that really made a huge difference, once we did that it seemed like if he missed one of his supplements his symptoms didn't reapear immediatly, like they had been. Oh he was already not eating any refined sugars and as little as possible food color and artificial flavoring.

You didn't mention if he has a poor immunity, that is also a sign that his body isn't absorbing nutrients correctly, I have a son with ADHD-PI, and he had a terrible immunity and once in a while he would get an eye tic, usually under stress. So I came across a recipe online to help the body absorb essential fatty acids, Aids pactients use it, the recipe is 1 lemon, peel and all, 1 tbs of olive oil, 4 tbs of juice consentrate, 1 cup of filtered water, blend drain and discard the pulp. Now I add about 2 tbs of flax oil, to the mixture, they only drink about 1/4 cup with every meal and before bed. I promise you its a miracle drink, my son hasn't been sick in months even though he was exposed to the flu, and his stress tic disapeared, which was somthing I could never get rid of, also his energy is up, I don't know if you know anything about ADHD-PI but its like the opposite symptoms of regular adhd, instead of hyperactive they are down right fatigued, and sluggish. This type usually doesn't even get diagnosed, but my son is home schooled and i'm the one teaching him so I know he is trying his hardest, but really unable to focus, and the poor kid was waking up tired, after sleeping 12hrs.

Anyway I hope that my research and commitment to my childs quality of life can benifit you and maybe save you some time. Good luck and don't give up, keep searching for answers. If one thing doesn't work try something else, or try upping the amount, its trial and error. And unfortunatly there isn't much research into alternative forms of treatment.
I forgot to mention a really great product, its called Floradix iron and herb. Its a liquid form of iron, really mild, not harsh on the stomic and it has the b-complex vitamins and vitamin c in it, It was one of the first supplements that I tried. Its kinda expensive so I put my son on it every couple of months, its like $18. for an 8oz bottle that only lasts 4wks once opened.. But I did find it made a difference with his appetite and his focus..
Thanks!
I really appreciate the support and will look into these supplements.  It is nice to have a way to narrow down the options!

Take Care
hi, my son has been getting worse over the last four years with tics only i didnt realise that was what it was, i went to the doctor when he was pulling his hair out and was told he would grow out of this, which with a lot of help from me and his dad and hair gel he did, but now he has a lot of tics ie sniffing, throat clearing, blinking, head turning, licking his face till hes raw, and now thankfully the teacher has noticed this as well, so hopefully i will get somewhere when i go to the doctors this week
Yes, my son had the throat clearing and blinking.  Throat clearing is a vocal tic and blinking is a motor tic.  When a person shows BOTH types of tics, it is called Tourettes Syndrome.  If you only have vocal or only have motor, it is a called a Tic Disorder.  My nephew has a Tic Disorder...only motor tics.

My son's tics move around which is normal.  Right now he squints when he sees a light bulb.  he is drawn to looking at the light then squints.
Please do not give any iron to children without lab tests confirming low iron. too much iron can be deadly and will lead to chelation. I have Asd and Tourettes son. While you want to help -you must walk a fine line. Do nothing that will cause more harm.