Pediatric Tourette Syndrome Community
Child light-induced tic...looking for guidance

WELCOME TO THE PEDIATRIC TOURETTE SYNDROME COMMUNITY: This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Pediatric Tourette: Causes, Diagnosis, Drugs and Medications, Family and Friends Issues, Living with Tourette Syndrome, Research, Risk Factors, School Issues, Symptoms, and Treatments.

My 9-year-old son has had this odd tic for over a year, and it's gotten a bit worse. He reacts to bright direct light, most often sunlight, by turning toward it, blinking and waving his hand in front of his eyes. Often this includes a sudden 'jump' or 'twitch'. Here is a clip of this behavior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVYTstTC1Wg

We took him to a pediatric neurologist, who said his EEG was normal and said it was just a habit. We don't agree with that. Recently after staying awake all night he had a seizure. We are thinking it is epileptic activity in some form, but the neurologist was again not helpful. It could be something like Tourettes but I haven't seen that Tourettes is light-induced.
Where to turn? Does he need a CT scan or MRI? Counseling? Could it be something like a stutter?
Again I apologize if this is not the right forum.
Thank you.
My eight year old daughter does the same thing.  We have an appt. with a Neurologist in July.  Did you find out anything about this condition?  Does he do it only in the sunlight?  My daughter never does it inside - only outside on bright days?
My 8 year old son has TS and he does squint at lights sometimes. It is a tic. The only response to a tic is to ignore it. He can't control it. We have an amazing and cutting edge pedi neurologist who told me yesterday about "habit reversal therapy" which is working for TS kids but not enough doctors are trained to do it.
Hi Randy
I've just found your posts on this site and the tourettes site. Your video of Isaac's tic sent a shiver down my spine - my 8 year old daughter, Ruby, is doing EXACTLY the same same thing. It's been going on for about 6 months now. It started with eye rolling but has progressed to the eye rolling and the hand fluttering/waving in just the same way Isaac is doing it. I have counted her hand waving over 20 times and she is unable to stop it. It doesn't happen much indoors - unless there is a very bright light - but happens as she leaves buildings to go outside and can be pretty constant when she is outside. It is her right hand - Isaac is his left? - although today I made her hold hands with me with her right hand and she was twitching to lift her hand away from me but then started to do the same movement with her left. We have a Neurology appointment next week and I will let you know what they say. Please do let me know what's happening with Isaac as I see you first posted several months ago and it's still happening?
Rebecca (England)
Here is a great resource about this, if you haven't found it yet- called "Sunflower Syndrome"

https://www.************/pages/Sunflower-Syndrome-Self-Induced-Photosensitive-Epilepsy/502595293101717?hc_location=stream