Could this be Tourette's??
My husband, a senior citizen, makes distorted faces, involuntary noise (grunts, snorts), jerks his head quite violently when trying to control his stuttering, does thinks like putting his pinky up his nose when he gets nervous, cannot eat without pulling at some part of his face or inserting his finger in his nose-the end result most times is food hanging from a nostril, his ear, under his eye, wherever.

He doesn't realize he does these things, people have laughed at him & repeated the same moves he just made but he doesn't see them because he doesn't look in the direction the laughter is coming from, he says he doesn't care. I know that's the main reason why he wasn't promoted at work-he wouldn't have made a good PR person with his problems.

What can I tell him to convince him he should see someone? Does tension have anything to do with this??

His grandson, 10, is now starting to have facial gestures, as well. Is Tourette's genetic??
-- Yes Tourettes is Genetic.  Both my Husband and Young son have Tourettes.  My Husband Twitches in his face  and there have been many people who just don't understand and will blurt out something rude.  Others that are friends and Colleges will ask me behind his back why he does those things.   My husband choose to be a School teacher so he could help other children who don't fit in.  He Openly talks about his Tourettes and takes the opportunity to educate his class all about it so that they can understand that differences are Okay.  

My Son who is 9 years old started showing signs of Tourettes when he was 8 years old.  He is having a harder time coming into his own acceptance of his body.   But we have taught him that HE can Do anything he wishes to do in life.  We have also taught him to be Open about it.  Because it is an involuntary actions and people will ask, or make fun of him.  It is so much easier to be open about it and to address the issue rather then ignore it.   When others have an understanding they are less likely to tease and persecute.