Pediatric Tourette Syndrome Community
Medications for Throat Clearing Tics

WELCOME TO THE PEDIATRIC TOURETTE SYNDROME COMMUNITY: This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Pediatric Tourette: Causes, Diagnosis, Drugs and Medications, Family and Friends Issues, Living with Tourette Syndrome, Research, Risk Factors, School Issues, Symptoms, and Treatments.

Medications for Throat Clearing Tics

Hi, I just joined this forum and I'm wondering if anyone has any luck with any medication for throat clearing tics. My daughter is 15 and was diagnosed with Tourette's at age 8. I am 43 and have also had it since I was about 8 years old, but was never diagnosed until I started seeing signs in my daughter. I am currently on 1mg of Haldol (Haloperidol) a day and it almost completely suppresses my tics. My daughter sees a neurologist about once a month and we have tried different meds with no luck. She has been taking risperdal for several years. Last year added clonidine. No change. About 2 weeks ago she started on Haldol and she still clears her throat about once every second. If anyone has had any luck with meds for this type of tic, please post! Thanks.
sunny, may I PLEASE ask you a question about this tic?   We have a confounding situation and you may be able to provide me with some understanding.

I have a 9 year old daughter and she coughs continuously.  Its been  14 months of this and she's seen 4 doctors!  2 doctors think it is a tic. She has been scoped down her throat, tested for allergies and asthma - all negative.  She's been  on antihistomines, acid-reducers, Nasonex, Prednisone, and Tussionex - the last 3 cleared up a second cough due to mucus but she still has the tic-like cough.

Her tic-like cough is like just a sharp, quick exhale of air but her whole belly moves.  Almost like a throat clearing but no vocal sound.   She does this 4-6 times a minute.

When I ask her WHY she coughs she says her throat tickles and she coughs because of it. She says it makes her throat not tickle for a second or two, but then the tickle comes right back.  I ask her if she intentionally coughs or if she can't help it, she says its sort-of intentional because the tickle is so bad.
When I try to narrow it down and ask her if its automatic like a hiccup, she says no its not like that, she chooses to do it.  Although she also says she can't stop the coughing.

Since you have experience with this, could you tell me if your throat tickles?   Or is your tic like a hiccup where there is no irritant, just a spasm that is the hiccup?   I only know what I read about tics. I have never experienced a tic myself.  In your opinion, from how my daughter describes this, does this sound like a tic to you?

Also, she doesn't cough in her sleep, and when she's talking she is never interrupted by the cough - as soon as she stops talking, she coughs though.  Its because of this the doctors think its a tic.  But my daugher says when she talks, her throat doesn't tickle.

We are going crazy trying to figure this out and get our daughter the correct help.  Currently she is seeing an asthma/allergist but I'm so flustered by the situation, I would like to plan who to see next.

Thank you for any insight you can provide me and happy holidays.
--rick
Hi Rick, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I forgot I used this email address for the post and rarely check it. I used an alternate email because I was afraid I would get spam if I posted on a site like this.

I would say from my experience with Tourettes that it may be a tic with your daughter. My personal tic is eye blinking kind of like rolling my eyes and have various other minor tics through my life.

My daughter primarily has the throat tic and like your daughter, she does not do it when she sleeps or talks. Both my daughter's tics and my tics started when we were 8 years old which is usually about the age it appears.

If someone were to ask my why I tic, I would probably say it tickled too. If I try to suppress it, I would say it hurts. It's so hard to describe.

My daughter was diagnosed by a neurologist and sees him about once a month. I also went to a neurologist at the time she was diagnosed and have been on Haldol (haolperidol) for about 7 years.
I can honestly say it has changed my life. If you were to meet me now, you probably wouldn't even notice that I have a tic.

My daughter's tics have been very strong the last year or so. Sometimes it's not as bad as others. The neurologist has said that it can get worse during adolescence and she is almost 16 right now.

I have recently purchased a book called "Natural Treatments for Tics and Tourette's" which I learned about on this site. It seems to have a lot of good information. Also learned about a website latitudes.org from the book.

I have started my daughter on some of the vitamins mentioned in the book.  She is in the process of having her medication adjusted and is taking Risperdal, Haldol and Clonidine.

Just this past Friday she was adjusted by a chiropractor and over the weekend her tics were almost nonexistent at times. It seems to have made a huge difference. The chiropractor also told me that flaxseed is supposed to have a positive effect on Tourette's.

Anyway, I hope I have answered some of your questions and I hope wish you the best of luck in finding help with your daughter. Look for a doctor that is knowlegeable about Tourette's. Several times I mentioned my eye blinking to different doctors and they just told me not to worry about it. It can be very frustrating.

I will start to check this email regularly now so if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sunny2121
Hi, The best type of MD to see for tics is a child neurologist or a child psychiatrist; there is NO substitute for experience! Intuniv ( time release Tenex) is used to treat tics also & helps ADHD symptoms for some people. My 13 yr old has a basket full of tics & he is starting Haldol. I doubt if a vitamin will do much or a chiropractor; but, U never know; if a chiro can remove stress then that might help the tics; my son's tics increase with stress & anxiety or tasks that require concentration like homework. also, some OCBehaviors can resemble tics & visa versa.  Prosac +/- Abilify is used to treat OCD.  

UALDEP
I'd like to followup my post for informational puposes.

It has been a year and 4 months since my post above.  What we discovered with my daughters throat clearing is that the last doctor we saw was correct:  That my daughter originally was coughing at drainage due to a cold, but then the coughing irratated her throat and she picked up the "habit" (tic) of clearing her throat because of the sensation of the tickle from the irratated throat. At that point it was a catch-22.
  Being so young, she couldn't understand and neither did we. But once we did - I was able to explain what was going on with her to her, and she slowly started understanding (I think from 9 years to 10 years old, she really grew emotionally and intellectually - a big jump too)
  But the final clincher was discovering the "neti pot" (google it if you don't know what it is),  My wife used it for herself, then I got one and used it.  Sometime after, my daughter had some drainage from a cold and she started clearing her throat again.  I reminded her of the reasons and as I was doing so thought of the neti pot and had her use it.   It really helped because it thinned out the mucus so it doesn't stick in the throat and she doesn't have to cough at it.
   So she's doing much better with no throat clearing and we make sure she uses the neti pot when she gets a alergy (allergy) or a cold.
Hi Sunny, I would love to know how is your daughter, did you find the way to stop her throat clearing?looking forward to hear from you. My throat clearing getting worst and worst I am 28 now and I am so tired of it;(