Pediatric Tourette Syndrome Community
Tourette and Negative Behaviors

WELCOME TO THE PEDIATRIC TOURETTE SYNDROME COMMUNITY: This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Pediatric Tourette: Causes, Diagnosis, Drugs and Medications, Family and Friends Issues, Living with Tourette Syndrome, Research, Risk Factors, School Issues, Symptoms, and Treatments.

Tourette and Negative Behaviors

My  son has Tourette and is also diagnosed with learning disabilities as well as ADHD.  He has been a difficult child from birth- fussy baby and a poor sleeper.  In early childhood he had a hard time getting along with other children and often was shunned by them because of his behavior towards them.  He started stealing at age 6 and continued to do so for years to come, resulting in time in jail.  He also got involved with drugs and alcohol abuse.

He has seen multiple psychiatrists, been on all sorts of medications and behavior modification programs with little to no positive results.

My questions are:    Has anyone ever heard of a "behavior" tic?  Do others out there have similar problems?
My son definatly has "behavioral tics". If we tell him to do something that he doesn't want to do or he doesn't like the tone of your voice this can bring on his screaming tic.
He is basically a good kid ( I believe most kids are), but he is manipulative and sometimes almosts uses the tourettes to get his own way. Your son obviously has been wildly misunderstood and I'm amazed that with all his problems he was incarcerated. Has he seen a neurologist? My son takes Xenazine ( prescribed by a neurologist) for tics, Edronax for add and Risperdal. The latter we found to be a miracle drug when he was younger and taking 2mg but it raised his prolactin and he put on alot of weight.
How old is your son? Mine is 14.
What you are describing is Called ODD (oppositional defiance disorder). That can eventually lead to conduct disorder, that is violent or aggesive behavior. My brother has tourretts and adhd as well, and for years my mother had no idea he had ODD, which is common in kids with ADHD. He is home schooled so that was his saving grace from getting out of control. He didn't have the opportunity.. But trust me it has affected the entire family, for the longest time I didn't even want to bring my kids over to my mothers house, once he was playing ball with my 7 year old son and his shoe fell off, my son picked it up and threw his shoe, he became so angree he took him by the head and threw him to the ground. My sons face was so swollen I thought he broke something..

Anyway it was shortly after that that my mother stopped telling everyone they were picking on him and it wasn't him or his fault. I gave her some natural supplements to try, and it has made a difference, and once she took him off of gluten and changed his diet he was a different kid. He is 13 now and is better behaved and less defiante then when he was 8. I feel terrible for you because unless you have the ability to control their envirnment I'm not sure you will have alot of success. You might want to look into the total transformation program, my mother is doing that now. Also a big help was herbal stress pills, they really helped him to control his impulse behaviors like screaming..
I'm going to try Valerian with my son and see if it helps his tics and his mood