Pediatric Tourette Syndrome Community
infants and tourettes?

WELCOME TO THE PEDIATRIC TOURETTE SYNDROME COMMUNITY: This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient community for questions and support regarding Pediatric Tourette: Causes, Diagnosis, Drugs and Medications, Family and Friends Issues, Living with Tourette Syndrome, Research, Risk Factors, School Issues, Symptoms, and Treatments.

infants and tourettes?

I am a mother of a 7month old boy, he is generally very healthy, however, recently he has been showing seemingly involuntary muscle and vocal ticks.  His face will tense up and his mouth makes a pucker and he'll groan loudly.  Other times he his arms will fly up in the air, his legs tense, his stomach tightens and his eyes get wide and he looks scared. he will do this several times in a row.  I am not sure if this is regular muscle spams from his developing systems, or if this is signs of something more serious.  I had a dream last night that his behavior may be signs of Tourettes, and since I am admittedly ignorant about this condition, I thought perhaps someone on this blog may be able to enlighten me. We don't have a family history.  I read that Tourette Syndrome requires 12 months for diagnosis but are there early signs?
Hello.  I am amazed at what you wrote because I am a mother of a 1year old who has been doing almost the exact same things as your son.  My husband and I have gone to a neurologist and they say that it is not involuntary for Sawyer; however, I am not all convinced!  He can do it over and over and over again for no reason!?  I have been thinking that maybe it's an early sign of autism but he does not show signs of any of the other significan red flags for that?  I just thought of tourettes and was thinking of telling my doctor to focus on that?  I just am so confused and it bothers me so much to see him doing this!  He has been doing it since he was around 4 months old.  Thoughts?

From: sawyersmom1
My son has been making these involuntary twitching movement all over his body since he was 2 months old( Hes now almost 2).  He has seen several neurologists who have done CAT scans and an EEG and have not found anything?  It has become so bad that these twitchy movements are keeping him awake all night.  It is terrible, he is so tired and can not sleep.  Something is not right!

I am not sure if any of you have tried alternative supplements, but I would start by giving your babies an epsom salt bath, then add a good multivitamin with minerals to their diet, and if they havn't started eating yet avoid giving them gluten and dairy. If they already do eat then avoid the sugars, gluten, processed foods, you know all the bad stuff. Also one that I found to helpful was liquid b-complex vitamins. I don't want to scare you all but it seems like these types of nerological issues just get worse, they eventually get diagnosed with ADHD, OCD, ODD (oppositional defiance disorder, SPD (sensory Processing disorder). I have a brother with tourrettes and once I started really searching for natural supplements to help him his life was horrible, he had alot of issues and it does affect them emmotionaly. SO my advice to you is start being and advocate for your child and research yourself online for alternative treaments. My brother went 5 years suffering, and now he is symptom free, no verbal or physical tics at all, and the OCD is gone as well, the ODD is still a bit of an issue, but my mother is doing the total transformation program with him. Anyway I just believe the sooner you start them on supplements that will help the less they will have to suffer. Also I forgot to mention he is also on herbal stress pills, I know none of you can put your babies on that but maybe some other calming herbs safe for babies or chamomile tea. I read your posts and could cry seeing how your babies are suffering, I just hope you give the natural approach a try, it does make a difference and there are no bad side affects like with drugs.
i have an 18 month old named kaylee. i myself have turrets syndrome and i tense up and have to sqeeze my whole body when i get excied or stressed. my daughter has been doing he same thing. she hasnt shrugged her shoulders in a while but a couple months ago she started doing that almost non-stop for like a month. it's still too young to tell but if she has it now there's nothing you can do. turrets is not curable but i've grown out of it for the most part. turrets wouldn't really show up on a cat scan or anything. they would have to tell by observation i think and it doesnt have o run in the family cause the cause is still unknown.
Hello. I have a 14 month old and she has been shrugging her shoulders and hitting herself in the head and also hitting her head against the floor and other objects randomly. i dont know if this can be usual for Tourettes. Please someone give me some feedback, i am very worried about my daughter.