Pediatric Transplant Expert Forum
Heart/lung transplant for toddler
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Pediatric Transplant Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals from the Transplant Center at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support regarding all pediatric solid-organ transplant issues, including heart, lung, kidney and liver transplantation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Heart/lung transplant for toddler

Hi Dr,

My 2.5 year old son is facing the possible scenario of a heart/lung transplant due to pulmonary hypertension. Depending on what meds help him or don't help him I was just wondering what help this would be on life expectancy? I understand there are risks with body rejection etc I just can't seem to find information of people living a "normal" life after this type of transplant
1472397_tn?1291257583
Hi Damien3981 - thank you for your question.  I'm sorry to hear that your son might need a heart/lung transplant.  If he does need a heart/lung transplant the antirejection medications will be necessary to keep those organs functioning.  Without immune suppression the organs would fail and his life expectancy would be very short.  Organ transplant simply does not work without immune suppression medications though of course you are right that the medications may also cause problems.  When your son undergoes evaluation for transplant you will receive information about survival statistics for your center.  You can find a lot of information about outcomes from transplants of all kinds at the UNOS website (www.unos.org) and also analysis of the data at the scientific registry of transplant recipients (www.srtr.org).  Bottom line, though there are side effects expected from immune suppression medications, there are certainly heart/lung recipients who have a normal quality of life largely because of those medications.  please do discuss your questions with your transplant center; even if your son is not quite ready for transplant evaluation you can likely have an informational meeting with the team to get an overview.  
best wishes,
Liz Rand
Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979