Pediatric Transplant Expert Forum
My Nephews Heart Problem

Welcome to the Pediatric Transplant Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals from the Transplant Center at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support regarding all pediatric solid-organ transplant issues, including heart, lung, kidney and liver transplantation.

My Nephews Heart Problem

Hi its christina I want to thank you for answering my question the first time, and i want to say i after talking to my sister i finally know that what my nephew has is called Immature heart. His heart didnt fully develope, but i got to say i think its a mystery how they never notice along the pregnancy. She had a couple of ultrasounds and the babys heart always sounded normal according to them. Being that you work with children i would like to know what would be some of the options for the well being of the baby? Again Thank You very much
Hi Christina -
very sorry for the delay in response I've had some technical difficulties
To give a more specific answer I would still need more information in what way the heart is undeveloped.  the normal structure of the heart includes 4 chambers and valves, there can be missing parts, or malformed parts, or abnormal openings between the chambers.  Treatment will depend on what exactly is wrong, and how it is affecting the baby.  There are medications that can improve the strength and/or speed of the heart beat, and others that can help with fluid load.  There can be procedures done by catheterization that can measure heart pressure and function and can even sometimes close or open pathways for blood.  Finally there is surgery including a wide range of corrective procedures as well as heart transplant.  I hope that the baby and your sister are doing well.