Pediatrics Community
12 month old has low white blood cell count/flu symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

5 days ago my daughter (12 months) developed cold-like symptoms-Runny nose, mild diareah , diaper rash, and low fever (around 100.0 F). I originally thought perhaps she was teething. Her symptoms have gotten progressivly worse-For the last 2 days her fever has been consistentantly at 103 F+, she has little energy, and spends most of the day fussing and sleeping.

Her regular clinic was not open yesterday, so I took her to an urgent care clinic. The DR checked her out, and told me it was most likely a virus and her throat looked inflammed. However he didn't do a strep test-He said that since she is not in daycare she "probably" didn't have strep. He did, however, order a white blood cell count. He explained that if the count was above 15, my daughter may have something bacterial and further tests would be needed. If it was on the high side of normal (5-14, I believe), that it was most likely a virus. I thought this test was strange-My daughter has had 3 confirmed cases of viral tonsillitis this winter. Each time I took her to her normal ped. clinic, a strep test was done-But never once had blood been drawn. The DR seemed to ignore the fact that I explained my daughter's symptoms were getting worse as days passed, which is not typical of the other viruses she's picked up this winter.

The DR came back with the results-My daughter's white blood cell count was under the "normal" range-It was at 3.5. He offered no explination, and said if my daughter still had a fever in another 5 days to bring her back in. I should mention by this time it was 7:10pm-The clinic closed at 7pm, on the night before Easter. I'm sure the DR wanted to leave for the night.

So I really want to know, what could the low white cell count mean? Should I pursue this further with her regular DR? She was perfectly healthy until 3 months ago-Since then she has had 3 confirmed viruses, 2 other instances of fever/runny nose that lasted 2-3 days, and she came down with croup a month and a half ago.
I am going through something like that now.  My 12 month old has had a high fever  and not much other symptoms. Rappid pulse, sleeps alot. She did have a seizure from the fever and I took her to the Hospital and she was admitted.  She was in there for 4 days with a high fever.  They tested her for everything, blood, urin, cts, x-rays, cultures of all kinds.  They can't find anything wrong just that her white blood count was down to 3 and had droped from the first time it was check 3 days earlier.  the Dr. is keeping eye on it.  Were at a holding pattern now.  It has been only 2 weeks.  She has been sick on and off for the last 5 to 6 months.  So far no cause..He is thinking a virus....Human Parvo virus b19.