Pediatrics Community
18 Month old, possible seizures???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

18 Month old, possible seizures???

My 18 motnh old daughter ( premature, 33 wks, pre-eclampsia, suffered severe withdrawl (withdrawal) after birth due to mother's use of Paxil during pregnancy) has been displaying strange behaviors on and off for over 6 months.  She will be going about her business and then all of a sudden her face will tense, mouth pulls back, and her head shakes, or tremors.  It lasts only seconds, her eyes do not roll, the rest of her body is not involved.  She does not appear confused afterwards, or seem to lose awareness when it happens.  She has never vomited.  At her 12 mth. well child visit, her head measured 1/2 cm above normal, and she was scheduled for an MRI.  I took her back to the Doctor before the MRI (15 month well check) and her head measurment was back on the curve.  Her pediatrician said that we could hold off on her MRI  and see how it measured at her 18 month well check and go from there.  We mentioned these "episodes," to her Pediatricain when they started happening, and after discussion she concluded that it didn't sound like a seizure and to keep an eye on her.  It seem to stop for short periods, and then return, occuring often, several times a day for a few weeks and then stops again.  She is otherwise healthy, developmentally on target.  Is it possible that these episodes are seizures even though there is not the usual symptoms along with them?  Can an MRI detect that seizures have occured after the fact?  I don't know if I am making something out of nothing, but it just doesn't seem right.  Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!
You need to see another pediatrician.  If you can't wait a month to get in then take her to the ER and they will schedule her an EEG--they might even do it then.  It is best to do it at night. Tell them you think she is having seizures--they have to rule them out.  Head size should not matter--my child has a small head--and she is developing quite normally.
Have the MRI done too if the EEG doesn't show anything.