PEDIATRICS
COMMUNITY
2 1/2 year old growing new nails over old ones
by JDM7881, Aug 29, 2009
I noticed that my 2 1/2 year old son is growing new nails on several of his fingers. He has not hurt himself in any way. Old nails are coming off and new ones are already out. Is this normal? I know new nails grow when you hurt yourself like fingers caught when a door closes, etc. but nothing like that has happened to him. I noticed this a couple of days ago on one finger and now it is happening on his thumbs. Old nails are practically peeling off while the new ones are under already. Please let me know if this is something that happens or should I consult his doctor.

Thank you

Member Comments (6)
by Blom1, Apr 03, 2012
Exactly the same is happening to my 2 year old. 3 fingers on each hand  is  affected. This is freaking me out! Is this painful? What  causes this? My GP says that it is possibly  a lack in  vitamin D and E. Is this correct?
by margypops, Apr 03, 2012
Has your child been sick recently ?..HFM ..Hand Foot and Mouth disease can cause this in nails
by prasant25, Aug 01, 2012
my 2 1/2 yr old daughter is also having the same problem with her nails.  Is it normal thing, since i never saw that with other babies i know in the family.

by margypops, Aug 01, 2012
It seems to happen if the child has had an infection like Hand Foot and mouth..Has your child been sick recently maybe in the last few weeks ?
by prasant25, Aug 02, 2012
Yes, a few weeks ago she was sick due to weather change and had also had some infection like viral chickenpox, may be its what you are saying is HFM infection. Now almost all the fingernails of the hands are growing like that.
will that cause problems in future? when the old nails will start falling, will it be painful?
by margypops, Aug 02, 2012
It does sound if that was it, it is likened to chicken pox..I believe that the nails grow back normally ..I have not heard its painful, personally I would speak to the doctor about it ..Good Luck it will be over once the other new nails push them out .