Pediatrics Community
2 1/2 year old with LOW igf-1

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

2 1/2 year old with LOW igf-1

Hello.
My son is 2.5 years old. I noticed that he wasn't growing very much. His father is 6'3 and I am 5'3. His genetic potential puts him at 5'11.5 Anyway, I took him to the Endo about his lack of growth and weight gain. They tested him for everything (celiac, genetic disorder, IGF, Ambulin). His IGF-1 came back below the normal range (47). However, his IGFbp came back at 3.1 so very healthy...and they said that they did not need to test his GH since the IGFbp was normal. He is in the 6% for height and 7th for weight. At 2 years it put him as a 5'5 adult. I am so confused. How is this possible? Right now the doc says that  if he gains weight and raise his IGF and therefore raise his height. I am skeptical. My almost 1 year old daughter is also lean. (20%) weight but 75% height. He is also very strong, ahead developmentally and full of energy. I have read that low IGF does not allow bone growth. Why can he not be a candidate for GH therapy?? what if he is not gaining because he doesn't have enough IGF and can't grow?? i can't see how a 7% child is suddenly going to gain weight and grow to be tall. They also did a bone age and it came back normal but they said that can change as he gets older. any advice? Because he is barely above the cutoff (3%) they conside him a normal height, but normal for who? Certainly not his genetic background. please any input is welcomed.
Dear  beachmommy2,
i prefer to do GH stimulation test, if his growth hormone stimulated and elevated then to GH therapy is needed. along with this if IGF-1 is still below the normal amd IGFBP3 is normal then the IGF-1 deficiency is not due malabsorption (celiac, SF, etc), i suggest to see an endo to get more confirmations about low IGF1 and to find the suitable treament.
Dear  beachmommy2,
(Correction)
i prefer to do GH stimulation test, if his growth hormone stimulated and elevated then to GH therapy is NOT needed. along with this if IGF-1 is still below the normal amd IGFBP3 is normal then the IGF-1 deficiency is not due malabsorption (celiac, SF, etc), i suggest to see an endo to get more confirmations about low IGF1 and to find the suitable treament.