Pediatrics Community
2-year old son with terrible smell coming from nostril

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Dear Readers,
    I really need some thoughts or ideas.  My two year old son has had this foul odor and a congested nose for well over a month and a half. We have been to his doctor several times. he first time she said it was an ear and sinus infection. We gave him the antibiotic and he seemed better except his nose. His nose would sometimes bleed a little and it was always stuffed but the right nostril always seemed worse. So we decided to take him back a week later. The doctor told us he still had an ear and nose infection and gave us strong antibiotic. So then another week passed and he seemed even bette physically but his nose still had the problem. So for the third time we took him back she said his ears looked better and weren't infected but our main concern was his nose. So she told us to keep putting saline and she gave us children's Zyrtec and said to use it for a couple nights before bed and call her and to set up an appointment with an ENT. So now after that visit his right nasal is still full or this light green mucus and still every day he get this relly bad smell on and off all day ... The best way I can describe the smell is similar to dirty socks but it's a really weird smell.  So as I am waiting to get an apointmen to the ENT... The thought that something serious could be wrong is driving me crazy. Oh also I tried the Zyrtec one night and in the morning, his nose seemed worse... So if there is any one with similar problem or some advice let me know......  Thanx
It sounds like maybe allergies to me.  The zyrtec could make it seem worse though b/c it's loosening up all the mucus.  You might try it for a few days to see the full affects of it.  The smell just seems like an infection. (I think I know what smell you mean)  Does his tongue look like it has a white film over it?? That could be causing the smell, try brushing his tongue.  If it is allergies you should get all the answers you need at the ENT.  Hang in there...Best wishes!
Umm... my friend's daughter had the exact same symptoms for about a month. Finally the doctor looked, and found a piece of sponge she had shoved really far up her nose. No one could see it, except with a light. Have they checked to see if there is anything up there?
Wow I just read the sponge thing yesterday and took my son to the doctor today and they pulled out a peice of a red sponge ball the size of a dime... thats crazy it's been up there for two months but I am soo releived and happy that it is all over with !!!
Yea! I am glad to hear that that problem is finally solved!
My daughter also has the same issue and is currently on antibiotic...  Have an Apt with doctor on Sunday... hope to get it resolved
Hi my daughter is two and she has a smelly right nostril, this has been for 3-4weeks now, am really worried about it I have tried cleaning with saline for a week now and nothing has changed, it's so foul I can smell it when she is next to me. I have made an appointment to see our local Gp should I go street to the children's Hospital instead?
MY TWO YEAR OLD SON HAS HAD A REALLY BAD SMELL FROM HIS NOSE.I HAVE BOUGHT LITTLE ONES SALINE DROPS AND HAVENT USED IT YET BECAUSE I WANTED TO BE SURE IT WAS SAFE. MY DISTRICT MANAGER SAID SOMETHING ABOUT HE HAD MIGHT STUCK SOMETHING UP HIS NOSE AND IT HAD GOT INFECTED.I DIDNT THINK IT COULD BE THAT BECAUSE HE HAS AN EAR INFECTION AND IT COULD CAUSE IT AS WELL.I READ THIS AND I AM MIND BLOWN. I AM SCHEDULING AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE DOCTOR TOMORROW BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE THIS HAS TO BE IT. SAME SYMPTOMS AND EVERY ANSWER IS SOMETHING STICKING UP THEIR NOSE. THANKS SO MUCH THIS HAS HELPED ME SO MUCH.