Pediatrics Community
2-year old son with terrible smell coming from nostril

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Dear Readers,
    I really need some thoughts or ideas.  My two year old son has had this foul odor and a congested nose for well over a month and a half. We have been to his doctor several times. he first time she said it was an ear and sinus infection. We gave him the antibiotic and he seemed better except his nose. His nose would sometimes bleed a little and it was always stuffed but the right nostril always seemed worse. So we decided to take him back a week later. The doctor told us he still had an ear and nose infection and gave us strong antibiotic. So then another week passed and he seemed even bette physically but his nose still had the problem. So for the third time we took him back she said his ears looked better and weren't infected but our main concern was his nose. So she told us to keep putting saline and she gave us children's Zyrtec and said to use it for a couple nights before bed and call her and to set up an appointment with an ENT. So now after that visit his right nasal is still full or this light green mucus and still every day he get this relly bad smell on and off all day ... The best way I can describe the smell is similar to dirty socks but it's a really weird smell.  So as I am waiting to get an apointmen to the ENT... The thought that something serious could be wrong is driving me crazy. Oh also I tried the Zyrtec one night and in the morning, his nose seemed worse... So if there is any one with similar problem or some advice let me know......  Thanx
It sounds like maybe allergies to me.  The zyrtec could make it seem worse though b/c it's loosening up all the mucus.  You might try it for a few days to see the full affects of it.  The smell just seems like an infection. (I think I know what smell you mean)  Does his tongue look like it has a white film over it?? That could be causing the smell, try brushing his tongue.  If it is allergies you should get all the answers you need at the ENT.  Hang in there...Best wishes!
Umm... my friend's daughter had the exact same symptoms for about a month. Finally the doctor looked, and found a piece of sponge she had shoved really far up her nose. No one could see it, except with a light. Have they checked to see if there is anything up there?
Avatar n tn
Wow I just read the sponge thing yesterday and took my son to the doctor today and they pulled out a peice of a red sponge ball the size of a dime... thats crazy it's been up there for two months but I am soo releived and happy that it is all over with !!!
Yea! I am glad to hear that that problem is finally solved!
My daughter also has the same issue and is currently on antibiotic...  Have an Apt with doctor on Sunday... hope to get it resolved
Hi my daughter is two and she has a smelly right nostril, this has been for 3-4weeks now, am really worried about it I have tried cleaning with saline for a week now and nothing has changed, it's so foul I can smell it when she is next to me. I have made an appointment to see our local Gp should I go street to the children's Hospital instead?
MY TWO YEAR OLD SON HAS HAD A REALLY BAD SMELL FROM HIS NOSE.I HAVE BOUGHT LITTLE ONES SALINE DROPS AND HAVENT USED IT YET BECAUSE I WANTED TO BE SURE IT WAS SAFE. MY DISTRICT MANAGER SAID SOMETHING ABOUT HE HAD MIGHT STUCK SOMETHING UP HIS NOSE AND IT HAD GOT INFECTED.I DIDNT THINK IT COULD BE THAT BECAUSE HE HAS AN EAR INFECTION AND IT COULD CAUSE IT AS WELL.I READ THIS AND I AM MIND BLOWN. I AM SCHEDULING AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE DOCTOR TOMORROW BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE THIS HAS TO BE IT. SAME SYMPTOMS AND EVERY ANSWER IS SOMETHING STICKING UP THEIR NOSE. THANKS SO MUCH THIS HAS HELPED ME SO MUCH.
My daughter was sick for about a week with the flu, when her cough and nasal congestion came, it was accompanied by a very foul smell. I kept washing her hands (not knowing where the smell was coming from at first) then I noticed it was her mucous that was producing this awful smell. I though maybe she had developed an infection since she was also sick. But I started to wonder if it could be something else. So I started looking online and many people said a foul smell from the nose could mean something is stuck up there. And knowing my daughter likes to stuff things up her nose I decided it was worth investigating. I got my cell phone and used the flashlight to inspect it. Immediately I could see something that at first sight resembled white mucous. I got the tweezers and tried to grab it out. After a few tries, this long piece of toilet paper came out. I'm still not sure if it's toilet paper or a piece of one of her wipes. It looks like a thick noodle. I really can't tell what it is exactly, I'm just glad it's gone!!! Washed her up and sprayed a bit of saline up there afterwards and smell pretty much disappeared instantly. I'm glad I didn't just excuse it for her recent illness or possible infection. It's worth a shot to just give it a look.
Thanks a millions guys. Was searching to find the reason behind the foul smell in my son's nose. He gas been having all the symptoms quoted by the original poster. I visited my pediatrician 5 tomes in a single month and each time he reassured it was nothing. Finally after reading this post today, we book an ENT appt immediately and took our son. As suspected, the doctor found a foreign object in his nose and pulled it out. It was a BUTTON BATTERY which my son accidentally put in his nose. It had been up there for 33 days. There was slight septum perforation and dr gave antibiotics n asked yo come for a review in 3 days. Thanks for all the info guys!
Amazing this thread has just helped me pull a 3 peice of thick smelly string like stuff that must have been blocking my daughters nose for weeks. She has sounded nasal for a while and I noticed a foul smell coming from her nose today. Thanks guys
Avatar n tn
Great, its like this is common among kids. My son had the same bad smell. I removed the sponge myself by inducing a sneeze and there after close his clear nose and mouth. I am relieved, it came out and the smell is no more.

Thanks guys.

Kanyanta
My son started to smell about a week ago, brought him to his Dr who referred us to the ENT.  There was a sponge like object in there.  He pulled it out and said we didn't even have to finish our antibiotics the other dr put us on.  So relieved.  The Dr is one of the best in this field and said this:

If the issue is just one side of the nose AND there is a bad smell most of the time there is a foreign object in there.  

My son is 6 years old and has never done this before, apparently older kids do it too on occasion.  
My 5 old daughter has had a smelly catarrh that has been recurrent for one year. I saw this post yesterday and looked up her nose . I saw a purple looking substance deep down there. We rushed to the hospital and were referred to the ENT doc.

Today a purple big biscuit wrapper filled was pulled out of her nose. It came out with pus and blood. He gave her nose drops and said she didn't antibiotics as she just finished one dose 3 days ago.
Oh god this thread is a saver for me... I have been smelling some bad smell from my 3 years old son breath.. after reading this I looked into his nose with a small torch and spotted and foreign body in one of his nose; With no further delays we have seen GP and he confirmed the same but was not able to pull it out as my Son was not cooperative and then prescribed me to go to emergency hospital and they pulled out a Chocolate Wrap (Plastic) as big as a button battery size. My son is 3 years old and Iam surprised that he was living by breathing from just one nose for nearly 7 months. Yes we are sensing this smell from nearly 7 months.

Once again thanks for all of you guys who posted here.
Avatar n tn
Omg thank you for this post my 4 year old has had a smell almost a week and it stunk cam across this post checked his nose and yes there it was somthing in there went to a&e and they couldnt get it out after finding out it would be a further week longer as over xmas i had a try he did let me finaly and out poped the green pompom from his school but we are going to the appointment today to see if he needs antibiotics as the smel still there eye is blood shocked and nose swollen and blisted :(
After reading this post we started a saline nose flush for the past four days. Just now we had him blow (son is 2yrs old with the bad smell in nose)
And 3 large green sponge like clusters came out of his nose. Looks like a large bacteria substance. I'm so thankful to God and for this post I had to share!
Thanks a lot for this post.I took my two year old in emergency first when I found about the smell.they told they couldn't see anything.they reffered to gp.He also told he couldn't see anything foreign in her nose.the smell didn't go for three weeks last I took her near childrens hospital emergency.they did xray but in xrays it didnt show last they reffered to ENT.she found  a piece of tissue paper around 2cm in her nose and took out using tweezers.I am so happy that I took her to the lady cilento children's hospital even though no symptoms except foul smelling from nose especially from left nose.Thanks to this post which help me to take a decision.
Thank you all, for sharing this information, my 2 yr old grandson,is having the same issue, I just shared your posts with her and she is going to schedule an appointment with the ENT. Thanks again for sharing
Many thanks to you all for all your experiences and advice. My 3 yr old son has been having the smelly nose issue for 2 weeks as well up we saw this post. Yes, he had stuffed a grain of yellow corn in his right nostril. With a bit of courage, I managed to pull it out with no pain to the little one, saving ourselves a trip to the doctors or A&E.
Avatar n tn
Holy crap! I thought for sure my 2 year old had a sinus infection! About 2 weeks ago we all got a cold and it has lingered bad. But a few days ago I noticed his breath smelled bad. Then his hands. Then I realized he hand smelled bad from picking his nose and that the worst smell was coming from his nose. He had thick green boogers coming out both nostrils and they smelled rancid. So found this thread and told my husband about it. He looked and said he didn't see anything. I kept read everyone's posts and decided I was gonna give it a good look. So I looked up there and saw what looked like some white booger but remember some said that's what they had seen originally also. So we hold him down I go up there there with tweezers and it's a small peice of ripped up purple foam and it smells like death. Another peak and it looks like there might be more or pus high up in there and I don't have a good enough light and don't want to hurt him so we are gonna take him in to the doctor morning just to make sure there isn't any more. Thank you all.
This post is the best thread I've ever read online. I noticed this strong smell on my 2yr old daughter on Sunday 14th March, first i thot it was smell cos of her not brushing her teeth n tongue so I brushed for her. The subsided so I thot. On coming back from work the following day I called her carried her n kissed her on doing this I noticed that same smell from day before that's wen I took a thorough look at her mouth n found the smell from her nose n not mouth. Was worried then I called my wife to come check it out. She did n freaked out scared wen she sensed it too. I calmed her down n googled cos of a smell from a kids nose that's wen I found this post. We found a particle from a mattress lodged in her right nostril. I managed to remove it. Some smelly blood came out with it. No visit to d doctors. She is fine now n I'm d best dad in d world.