Pediatrics Community
3 Year Old Daughter Sick 6 times in 3.5 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

My 3 year old daughter has been sick 6 times in 3.5 months.  Her symptoms are:

High fever 103-105 in the evening hours
Sore throat/ Swollen tonsils
Occasional vomitting
Stomach cramping

The doctor was "treating" her for Strep the first 3 times.  Then referred her to an ENT who did cultures that came back negative.  Now she has had lab work done and all it shows is that the infection is bacterial.  Every time they have put her on antibiotics (a different brand each time).  Once the antibiotic course is over she has about a week of relief before it starts back up again.  Now they say it may be UTI but I have not smelled an odor nor does she complain about her back or burning when she uses the restroom.  We are getting another opinion once she gets off the current antibiotics to see what they think.  My child is miserable and keeps asking me why the medicine won't make her feel better.  My husband and I have missed so much work due to this also.  Any ideas what else this could be?
Tags: toddler sick strep
anti biotics are not working now as they used to I am afraid ..and it sounds like she has had enough ..I would check out allergies ..and try her on an anti histimine ..ask the Doctor what kind ..good luck let us know how she is doing .
If she is in daycare, this isn't really unusual.  Also, is she around anyone who smokes?  That can weaken a child's immune system. Hope she feels better soon.
My daughter had these same symptoms and was prone to getting sick when she was small and main symptom was cough and running nose Frequent colds.Many step throat issues over a year she had it. I got her tested for asthma and was positive and now she is on meds and hasnt been sick like this anymore. I Took her to a pediatric Pulmonologist . She takes Flovent in morning and evening and albuteral when needed which has been almost never once last year. She is doing so much better. Also they removed her tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) She had scare tissue built up in tonsils from the many bouts of strep throat and coughing.