Pediatrics Community
3 year old with recurring petechiae, hematuria and proteinuria

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

HI there, my 3 year old son has been having recurring petechiae for the last 3 months, his initial diagnosis was Henoch Sconlein Purpura, with the first incident of petachiae it proceeded a viral infection and rash that he had a week earlier, the petechiae covered his face, neck, upper back and torso and lastly his buttocks and groin, he didn't have many other major complaints apart from vague tummy pain and foot pain (which has been ongoing for some months). His blood and urine was tested and came back normal apart from slight proteinuria and elevated ESR. Over the next month the rash faded and he seemed recovered, until he developed a fever with no other symptoms apart from petechiae on the roof of his mouth and buttocks, again his blood and urine was tested, blood was normal (not sure about ESR this time) but hematuria and proteinuria was detected, the GP consulted with a paediatrician and another GP who doubted that it was ever HSP, which of course has left us anxious for answers. Over this last month he has had scattered petechiae over his body, a vague limp, on and off tummy pain, mouth pain, with white patches on his inner lips, night sweats and constant microscopic hematuria and proteinuria. We are awaiting an appointment at the hospital, but I really wondered what we could be looking at, could it be autoimmune or worst cancer?
Kind regards
May also be a viral or bacterial infection from the symptoms you describe , ..has he had a cough or been vomiting before the break outs...?
Thanks for your reply, we did consider viral/bacterial and it initially was an infection/rash followed by the rash turning in to petechiae. Also if it was still this why does it keep coming and going and lasting for months? There has been no vomiting, but he did have a cough to start, this was considered as a cause at first but dismissed by all the Drs because of the distribution of the rash.
So the doctors have no conclusion for the petechaie all tests are negative ?
They think it could be autoimmune vasculitis, but will have to carry out many more test to determine the diagnosis of this, as I believe there is no 1 test for these diseases, the thing that bothers me is not knowing and wondering if it could be something like leukemia! I know it would have been picked up on the blood tests but I just worry that maybe something has been missed! Also the blood and protein in his urine is concerning and suggest he could have kidney involvement. Just at my wits and with worrying and not knowing.
I know and I really sympathise ..on doing some research I saw leukemia come up.they have obviously discounted Mengicocal disease,..I do feel that it would have shown in the testing by now..I also beleive in a mother's 'gut'  so I would suggest you ask for another opinion
Was there a diagnosis? My son is 3 and has had the same thing on and off for over 9 months. He has seen 3 doctors and 2 dermatologists and no one an tell  me why. He has an appointment with a children's dermatologist in the next few weeks but all I can think is something bad as well. He's had 2 cbc's done and they have been normal. Just wondered if there had been anything finalized with a diagnosis yet?