Pediatrics Community
3 year old with severe foot, knee & hip pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

My son has had pain in his left foot that started when he was 18 months that seems to get progressivley worse. Dr's said growing pains for months but after seeing many specialist I was told that growing pains are usually in the Long bone (shin bone)and starts at around 4years old (certainly not under 2)It wakes him from a sound sleep 3-5 times a week, He screams in pain and does not want to be held, he just wants me to massage his foot, knee & now hip.  We started out with a rhuematolist who ordered blood work and Mri. He was checked for leukemia, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, cystic fibrosis and several others ~Thankfully ALL negative, however the mri results has shown a bruised bone all the way to the marrow. He was put on Naproxen for about 8 months (they took him off so his liver would not be harmed) We followed up with an orthopedic who put my son in a special boot for about 3 mos. (It didn't work) after seeing another orhtopedic(who reviewrd the same MRI) he claims he does not see he bruise and said the mri was normal -So I'm back to square one. I am scheduled to see a specialist for the 2nd time at Columbia Presbyterian in New York and now they want to do another MRI of his whole spine down to his toes.  I hope they find something So I have an answer.(They have to put him to sleep for the MRI which scares me to death, he had a hard time waking up from the first one) Something is affecting his immune system ~ he had Pneumonia twice in one year and is currently on a nebulizer again. I am so sad for him and I feel so helpless. He is so happy all the time and all I want to do is cry for him. If anyone has any answers or suggestions please help.
I have no answers sorry but i just wanted to post you to say that i think you are amazing and strong and far from helpless,i totally get that all you want to do is cry for him,and i will keep everything crossed that you will soon get an answer,i just wanted you to know that i am thinking about you all.
awww I am so sorry , its really hurts doesnt it, we feel so helpless, the sooner they do another MRI the better as you have had 2 differant answers and thats not good enough, hopefully you wont wait too long, get on their case if you dont hear anything, it does sound like a bone issue ..good luck let us know what they say ...