Pediatrics Community
5 month old eating schedule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

5 month old eating schedule

Hey There!
I am looking for some reassurance so to say that i am doing good! I am a new mom and have a question about my babies feedings! My baby boy is few days away from being 5 month old. Up until 4 month he was 100% breastfed. At 4 month we switched to formula and as our pediatrician advised, we started to add cereals and fruits. And, this is where i started to get worried all the time: is he getting enough? too much? too little?  I guess my issue is i want to make sure i am not overfeeding him.Up until 4 month he was gaining weight perfectly-just like by the book! After introducing formula, he got little chubby which i guess is normal. I try to keep him on a feeding schedule. I am not really strict about it but try to keep him as close as i can. I just want to make sure that my schedule sound good to the majority :-))!!! So far my son has been introduced to formula, rice cereal, apples and bananas. Here is my schedule:
5:30am- 5-6oz formula
9:30am- 5-6 oz formula, 2-3tbs cereal mixed with few spoons of apple or bananas.( I feed cereal out of spoon, and   then fallow up by bottle of formula)
1:30pm 5-6oz formula
5:30pm- 5-6 oz formula, 2-3tbs cereal mixed with few spoon of apple or bananas
9pm- 4-5oz formula (for some reasons he does not really want much before bed)
I also try to skip night feedings. Sometimes however, he may wake up once around 2 am for a feeding that will cause my schedule to shift slightly. On average he eats about 26 oz of formula a day. Here is my question: Do my feedings look alright? Do you think i use too much cereals, fruits? i am  also thinking to switch him to oatmeal cereals and start slowly adding vegetables. Also to let you know, he loves to eat out of spoon! he opens his mouth and swallows perfectly. His sleeping schedule seems to be fine too. Sometimes he  sleeps most of the day, other times he is awake more.On average he wakes up, plays a little before feeding and some before falling a sleep. I understand every baby is different, but on average what do you think? Thank You!!
My pediatrician advised me strongly not to go with fruits until my son was used to vegetables and liked them.  Don't know about the rest, can't remember the amounts my son was taking at such a young age.  Except that I do remember we didn't start him on solids until he was 6 months old (but if your doctor said to do otherwise, don't go against his orders).  Did you have to stop breastfeeding?  Why was that?  My son breastfed until 18 months (of course, not exclusively).