Pediatrics Community
5 year old with swollen cheek, probably infection from mouth sore, need...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

5 year old with swollen cheek, probably infection from mouth sore, need advise please.

My 5 year old son has a mouth sore/ulcer on the inside of his cheek and he had a slight fever before bedtime so i gave him pediatric paracetamol. the next morning, he woke up with the side of his face swollen (same side as the mouth sore). He lets me touch his swollen cheek, which feels firmer at at he part near his nose/mouth. He does not have an allergic reation to paracetamol cos i have been giving it to him for his fever before. His fever is gone and he also has an appetite, so I assume it does not have anything to do with his teeth or gums. But i think it is worth mentioning that 3 weeks ago, he has been complaining about his gums hurt because food got stuck inbetween his molars. it got better after brushing/flossing. yesterday, I took him to the doctor and we were prescribed antibiotics to reduce the swelling but no explanation was offered whatsoever. I would really appreciate it if someone can give me an explanation or advise on what to do next.  
As the doctor gave anti biotics there was an infection ,it should go down soon, it is possible that he did have a gum/tooth infection so it may be a good idea to go to the dentist and get him mouth/gums  looked over ..make sure he does clean his teeth regularly and flosses.food may have got stuck and created it ..You can always ask when a Doctor is looking at your child ,what could have caused the swelling ...good luck  
Thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it :) yes,i have noticed the the swelling has reduced 24 hours after he took the antibiotics. I am going to continue with it and once his cheek has normalized , i will take him to a pediatric dentist.  The thing with my son is , he was diagnosed with high functioning autism, so sometimes even if i ask him what hurts or if he feels any pain, he finds it difficult to let me know because of his speech delay. So when things like this happen, i always have to track back and think what may have caused it.
yes and that's the way to go,children don't always think to speak out if they have a piece of food stuck in between their teeth and its not always easy to see it, it sits there and infects the gum area around it, they will clean his teeth up aswell .Hope he does okay ...