Pediatrics Community
6 month old head shaking??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

6 month old head shaking??

My 6 month old son just started shaking his head "no" 3 days ago, he is now doing it many times a day since he fist started. He is even now doing it in his sleep. When he does it, he seems not to notice its happening and when I call his name or touch him he stops. The thing that worries me is that it is becoming more frequent and he is now even doing it in his sleep.... I have an appt. with a neurologist in 2 days to get an EEG. But could this just be a normal thing? Also he wont do it back to me like if I start shaking my head at him trying to ssee if its a game he wont do it back, he just does it at random times through out the day.
Hi i just posted a post about this about my son. Everyone said if it seems like he can control it then its most likely just out of entertainment. my son does it in his sleep to and i think its just a way to pacify himself. i dont think you have anything to worry about. does his eyes shake back and forth to or are they just going along with his head, and can he stop it on his own? those are the things you need to look out for. hope i helped. let me know what happens. =)
Both of my girls did it.  One is 2 1/2 the other 1 year.  They are both developed normally, the two year old is advanced even.  But, like the above post said...Can he stop it on his own?  Do his eyes roll around?  It didn't have any effect on either of my children and they both start around 5-6 months of age.  I think it's just experiementing b/c it makes them feel a bit dizzy or a coping mechanism.
yes he can stop it and his eyes remain normal... the only odd thing is that he does it so randomly and he wont do it back to me if I do it to him so he is not doing to play with me, and it came on all sudden and hasnt stopped.
i honestly dont think you have anything to worry about but if your truly concerned take him to his doctors. but im sure you ok. he is just entertaining himself.
Well my 5 monthes old shakes her head while she's about to sleep and is sleeping she shakes till she's is deep sleep it would stop shaking.  . Is it normal??