Pediatrics Community
6 year old with heavy breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

6 year old with heavy breathing

My 6 year old daughter has been having a breathing issue for about 4 months now.  When she is sitting still (either watching tv or trying to go to sleep) she has a hard time breathing.  She takes deep breaths over and over.  I have tried to watch her and see if she is holding her breath in between these gigantic breaths she is taking, but have been unable to say with certainty that she is.  It looks like she is, but I am trying not to draw attention to it until I know what could be wrong.  What could cause her to have the issue only when she is inactive?  
Hello my 7 year old breathes heavy when she is excited, when she watches tv, when she is mad, when she wants to say something or when she plays a video game. I get afraid and ask if she is okay then she explains that she is fine and that she can't help it. She explains that she gets excited and thats why she breathes like that.  She has gone for physicals, I know that she is overweight, not obese but she can lose a few pounds. I am going to start with that. Change her diet.  If she continues to breathe like that I will have to insist that my doctor send her to a specialist.  She has been like this for over a year or so. It doesn't happen all of the time though. I notice it some days more than others.  She doesn't have asthma or congestion and she doesn't snore. She actually sleeps peacefully. I check on her at least 3 to 4 times a night out of habit. Her school called me three or four times because the teacher freaked out with her breathing. Even though I explain its her excitement, it scares them to death. I monitor all and hope that it is more of a weight problem than anything else. May God protect our children from illness and disease.
It may just be a habit she has got into especially if it gets attention ,have you had her checked out in case there is something breathing issue ? Is she okay in every other  any other symptoms ?