Pediatrics Community
6y.o with cough and NO other symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

6y.o with cough and NO other symptoms

About a week ago I noticed my 6 year old son have some mild coughing immediately after waking up in the morning. It continued for about 4 days with the cough just being there in the morning, and for the rest of the day there wasn't really any cough that I would notice. Day 5, I noticed the cough increase, in the sense that I would hear him cough during the day and evening a few times. Day 7 and Day 8 (today), the coughing has increased where he coughs just after waking up, but at some points during the day and night when he is awake as well. We took him to the doctor yesterday. He has had NO other symptoms. No fever, no runny nose, no sore throat, no lethargy, perfect appetite, sleeping well, full of energy, his normal busy bustling self. Took him to the doctor yesterday and she listened to his lungs, said they sounded fine and clear (no need for X-ray or anything), O2 sat was 100%, normal BP etc, though she said she saw something in the back of his throat that might indicate a postnasal drip (however, he hasn't complained of a sore throat). She said many kids have a cough without getting any other symptoms, and it can last as long as 6-7 weeks. Our ped's nurse whom we spoke to on the phone (cause our ped's office is closed, said something similar). Is this really the case? We'd just like to hear from any parent out there whose kid had a cough with no other symptoms - how long did it last, what did it eventually turn out to be etc?
Many coughs around at present I am seeing this a lot on the forums, my opinion is that it is environmental allergies caused by the aerial spraying. check out the video"What on earth are they spraying" you could also ask for a heavy metal toxicity test ..Some folks are more susceptible than others to the toxins which include Aluminium and barium,...
There is a cough going around in our town.  It seems associated with a cold but the cold is mild.  I've also heard that coughs can persist for a long time.  If it becomes associated with lung wheezing on the exhale, especially at night, call the pediatrician back.
My almost 3 year old gets this from time to time.  Particularly in the winter months.  In his case, it is caused by nasal drip during the night. So he will primarily cough at night and first thing in the morning.  Check your house humidity levels and you may want to add a cool mist humidifier (this helps my son tremendously).  Also, I dust and wash walls in my sons room frequently...sometimes daily (we live in a cold dry climate). I have removed stuffed animals from his room and any other "dust" collector. He has hardwood floors as well.  His pediatrician believes he has mild dust allergies, and this helps a great deal. He has never had any trouble breathing or anything, just this annoying cough and these things have really really helped.  It tends to be seasonal, and clears up in the warmer months.
Thank you for the replies. Today completes two weeks of the cough and it still has not gone. Took him back to his ped (a different doc than last time), and she too said everything looks fine. No pneumonia, asthma concerns etc - he jumps up and down a hundred times and doesn't even get out of breath. She did give me a prescription for Zithromax in case he gets a fever (after 2wks, there is NO other symptom including no fever). He has never taken an antibiotic before in his 6 1/4 years. I don't know whether to just go ahead and give it to him without evidence of a bacterial infection? Can the cough be bacterial even though there is no fever and no other symptoms. Given it is lasting 2wks, I am thinking he may be having trouble fighting it off and the antibiotic might help, but at the same time I am conflicted since I don't want to give it to him needlessly. Any advice appreciated.
As I previously said , check out whether it could be environmental allergies...
I personally am not keen on antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.  I would never deny my child them if he needed them, but would feel comfortable questioning the Dr.  

I have to say, I also suspect allergies, although my initial thought is more dust/mites.  It doesn't mean your house is dirty or anything, it's a really common one, and really does match exactly what you are describing.  We don't have asthma either thank goodness.

Sometimes I give my son Benadryll for Allergies (the child's formula obviously..lol), and it does seem to help a great deal.  

Did you ask about allergies?  That does not necessarily mean asthma.  Very mild allergies can be annoying though, and cause that nasal drip which can in turn cause a cough.
I know it has been a while since the last post, but in case anyone else is having a similar issue with their kids, just wanted to updated and say it resolved on its own without antibiotics, and I haven't heard in cough since then (it's been several months). Thanks for the advice.