Pediatrics Community
8 month old, involuntary head jerks/spasms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Hi, I have an 8 month old girl and for the last week she has started to have involuntary movements where her head will suddenly violently lurch back three times in a row, some times her head and leg will do it at the same time and its always to the right side of her body, getting more frequent. It happens when she is excited, tired or frustrated and she is still very happy, eating well etc and it doesn't seem to bother her but very concerning to me. She is teething at the moment and eating 3 solid meals a day as well as breast feeds and if on track with her development. We have been to the GP who hadn't seen it before (i showed her a video of it) and has referred me to pediatrician but as i am in NZ this means i will have to wait 3 to 6 months. My mother has done some research and found that immature nervous system can be common and she will grow out of it (if that's what it is). Does this sound like it could be this? While it is happening she is fully conscious and eyes are open (most of the time). She continues playing after it happens and does not seemed too bothered by it. Based on this information do i need to put pressure on my GP to make case more urgent to get her seen ASAP or is it something that she could grow out of? To describe what is happening a little more clearly she will be playing on the floor and her head will suddenly jerk back (ear to shoulder) three times consecutively (sometimes more sometimes less) at the same time her right foot will spasm and she will carry on with what she was doing before hand, on other occasions she will be sitting up and her head will lurch back or she will do nodding motion. Its is undoubtedly involuntary and i am very concern about what it could be and if it could cause permanent damage.    
I think an EEG may be a good idea , there is something they call 'benign myoclonic seizures, which are a benign form of benign epilepsy and go away by themselves..For your peace of mind its still a good idea to ask for an EEG Good luck let us know what they say ..