Pediatrics Community
Ankylosing Spondylitist and bigh blood pressure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

My son started having "spells" Jan. 2012 where he would start throwing up, very pale and blotchy, dark circle under his eyes. We would take him to the doctor and they would tell us to take him home and in a full days he would get better. He would but then a few months later it would happen again, he would literally look like he was dying. Finally he was hospitalize at vanderbilt childrens hospital for it cause his BP was extremely to high(181/96). He was finally diagnosed with Hypertension but without a reason.His doctor told me that a reason for high blood pressure could be that he was in pain from something that we couldn't see. They did ever test on him and everything came back normal, he is currently take Amlodipine twice a day, and his bp runs around 120/75 everyday. So it got me thinking...I have the gene HLA-B27 which can be a sign of Ankylosing Spondylitis and was told that more then likely my son would suffer from this as well.

So my question is: Is there a link between Ankylosing Spondylitis and High Blood Pressure? Should I have my son tested for AS? Could AS be the "Pain" that my son is having that we can't see?
Hi there.  Does your son's doctor know about this possibility?  Does he complain of low back pain or that he is stiff?  Just curious as those are common complaints it appears with AS and if they are saying the blood pressure is due to pain, would this be related?  

From what I could read, it is a low percentage of kids that present with AS and hypertension while with adults it is more common, up to half.  Less than 2% of kids had hypertension. that doesn't mean that your son isnt one of the 1.7% that reported.  

so, run this possibility past his doctor.  good luck and sorry he is having a tough time of it.