Pediatrics Community
B12 Shots and Speech Delay

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

B12 Shots and Speech Delay

I have a 5 year old with speech delay. He's very social and friendly, very active. He's been on speech theraphy  and also OCT for 3 years now. He can speak little bit but many times when he tries it's nonsense. I'm trying to figure out why the speech doesn't come out and how can I help him.? And he has also atonic seizures and on medication. Recenlty, I'm doing a lot of researches and I read Jenny McCarthy's book "Louder Than Words", it's been great help to me and moral support, I learned a lot about autism and how can you survive form it (Altough my son doesn't have autism) So, there is in the book that she says B12 shots helped Evan (her son 5 year old with also speech delay) with speech, after he had the shots his speech was amazingly improved.  Any comments? Please help me what can I do more for my warm hearted sweet kid?
That is excatly my problem with my son soon to be 5 years. Sometimes he talks nonsense wrong grammar and all. Can any one please help.
I don't know much about these issues and whould not really comment on them but I believe that your child maybe deficient in Vitamin C and others too.
Vitamin C is the "wonder" vitamin we all take for granted. Dr Linus Pauling said that  deficiency of this little molecule Vitamin C   in our bodies causes more misery and more diseases  than we   know.
Google him and read his stats.
I hope this helps.
Sunes.
I emailed to icelady privately, but read the other comments and knew that it would be helpful to place it on the board.  My daughter is also 5....developmentally delayed, never regressed, but the closest situation to hers was autism so we have followed this route for 2-3 years.  She has had 2 evals for autism and hasn't quite fit the diagnosis.

We have followed the DAN (Defeat Autism Now) protocol for almost 2years now with some mild benefits.  We did use the methyl B-12 shots and there are many reasons to use them.  In our case....we found out that my daughter has lead/many other metals poisoning and we used it to increase her glutathione levels (that rids the body of toxins and our daughter's was very low).  She talks, but it has never been truly conversational...just bits here and there, but very appropriate.  I have heard that for some children the B-12 shots increases speech, but for ours...it didn't make a difference.  She still needs the B-12 for other reasons.  

We also recently found out this summer...that she has been having petit mal seizures for a couple years.  She is now on anti-seizure meds.  She also had 2 grand mals this summer.  Scary!  I am hoping that the seizures are partially why she hasn't quite gotten there on the speech.

We started ABA therapy almost a year ago (20 hours per week, very intensive therapy)...this has helped her catch up a bit on her development and her receptive language.  She is 100% there on understanding everything that is asked of her.

I hope that this helps some. Tricia
How did you find out your daughter had lead and other heavy metals poisoning?  I have been reading about heavy metals poisoning, and would like to have my son checked. He has Infantile Spasms, a type of Epilepsy.  The three main ways of checking that I have found are Blood, Urine, and Hair analysis.  My ped says she will do the blood test if I want it, but everything I have read says that the blood test find's recent exposure to heavy metals. And collecting the urine for 24 hours is kind of out of the question, he still wears diapers. Any how just wondering waht you did to find out.

Thank you
Stephanie