Pediatrics Community
BED WETTING

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

BED WETTING

MY GREAT GRANDSON IS NINE AND STILL WETS THE BED IS THERE SOMETHING WE CAN DO TO HELP HIM WITH THIS PROBLEM?
First, you need to take him to a physician or a specialist to make sure he doesn't have a physical problem that is contributing to his bedwetting.  If it is a physical problem, work with the doctor.  If it is a behavioral problem, then try to find out what is wrong.  I suggest that he be admitted to a sleep therapy unit for a night or two where he is watched and monitored while he is asleep for nightmares, REM sleep, etc. to see if he is having a problem there; maybe he sleeps too deeply to wake when the body urges occur.  Maybe he had a bad nightmare or you have him sleep with the lights out and he is afraid to get up in the dark to go to the bathroom so he wet the bed instead.  If you find no physical problem, then a child psychologist may be of help.  In the meantime, there are diapers for older children who suffer from bedwetting as well as medications to help him control his bladder better.  good luck
Thanks for your help, we have had in to some doctors about this, they give him some kind of medience to see if it would help, and it didn't. Glad you said something about sleep therapy, sounds like that would be some where to start. Again thank you.
My 7 year old boy wets every night, soaking himself. We ran a sleep study and found that he did have sleep apnea. He had a tonscilectomy in FEB and it helped his sleep a graet deal but didn't affect the bed wetting. He still wets every night.  I havn't followed up with another sleep study but I'm thinking of it. We tried the hormone treatment but he still wet every night just a smaller quantity.
We don't make any deal of it at all but he's now aware that his friends/classmates are not wetting and it dose bother him.  I see that we are not alone, buit I sure would like to find an answer.
Has any one had any luck going the Urologist route?