Pediatrics Community
BRIGHT Red Cheeks - 4 1/2 month baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

BRIGHT Red Cheeks - 4 1/2 month baby

My son is 4 1/2 months old and is a very happy active baby. Recently he has had bright red cheeks that seem to come and go through out the day. I noticed this starting after his 4 month immunizations but he doesn’t seem to have a fever or be uncomfortable. He is still eating well, and sleeping through the night, his bowl movements are regular, urine clear. What could this be? Should be suspicious of Slapped Cheek Disease?
Tags: Baby, cheeks
Could be Fifths or maybe chapping? Or some kids cheeks are just rosier complexion. I dont think the pedi does anything for fifths, but any pg person should handle him till it is resolved.
I meant to say a pregnant person should not handle baby w/ fifths.
My son's cheeks are rosey sometimes. Look closely in a well lit area and see if you see cracked, dry looking marks. I just lotion my son up with curel or lubriderm and it goes away after a hour or so.
My son has the same symptom on a daily basis. The red cheeks would come and go. His ears would turn red as well. This ended up being a dairy intolerance. We removed dairy and placed him on a Casein Free diet (casein is in dairy). As soon as we did this, the red cheeks went away.  Later, he was given regular dairy by mistake and the red cheeks and ears came right back.  If your child likes milk, try rice milk. That is what my son now drinks. Or you could try lactaid first to see if removing the lactose helps.....then try rice or almond milk. Hope that helps.
Wow - did not know that. My son is intolerant to dairy as well. He is on nutramigen and there is no dairy at all in his diet. Yet his cheeks still get red on and off. Any more thoughts on what it could be? He is teething - two little teeth so far.....looking for the top ones now.
My son is 41/2 months now and is having the same problem. They are BRIGHT RED, if it is a cold it must be viral because no bacterial signs, runny nose etc. He might be teething by no teeth felt yet. I thought he could be cold, or chapped cheeks. but its not. I feed him soy formula wondering if there is a lactose issue?? He is fussier than usual. In fact he is much different than my other child. He can hardly be set down. It has gotten worse since I stopped breast feeding and went straight to formula. Thanks.
My son also has this red cheak problem. People often ask if he has a temperature. I've noticed when we visit family he gets warmer because most people have their heat higher then we keep it. But it works out fine cause then we strip him down to just a onsie. I always check his temperature and he hasn't had one (knock on wood). He often chews on teething toys, his hands, etc like a baby would if they were teething. experienced moms in my family said his rosey cheaks are probably from teething. I never thought about a diary problem, but his stools are normal and he isn't colicy.  I will bring it up to my son's pediatrician when he goes here in the next week. I haven't felt it was a problem to call the doctor cause no temperature.......
My son has the same problem and is also on nutramigen....if you look at the ingredients it has casein in it. The only formula that does not have it is called Elecare or Neocate. Neither are sold in stores but u can buy it off the internet. You can order it from the pharmacy but it is double the amount. Neocate website is 90.00 for 4 cans with a 30.00 off coupon i think its still on there. It is covered by some ins comps because it is medically nec. Good luck.....I go to the allergist tmrw and will hopefully be able to have ins cover it as well! If ur son doesnt sleep ...as mine doesnt...that could also be the problem. He casein in the nutramigen is broken down but not gone. Its still in here and if he has a milk protein allergy then it will just help a little but he will not full be ok on it...prob still gassy and such but not as bad as he wld be on refular formula. try Neocate! Good luck!