Pediatrics Community
Baby is too heavy ... or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Baby is too heavy ... or not?

Hi. I have a 4 month old baby boy. He is 9 kg heavy and 65 cm long. We are feeding him just on breast milk. Nothing else.
He was born 3850 gr and when we left hospital he was 3550 gr. In his first month he gain 1800 gr and in second 1500 gr. Now he is gaining 1 kg per month for the last two months. He eats every 3 hours.
Our pediatrician said to us that he is too heavy and that we need to put him on diet. I don`t get it how can we put a little baby on a diet?
My wife is afraid that he may gain more weight and that he will have problems as he gets older.
Please tell us what to do and if you have some advice let me know. Thanks.
Your doctor is crazy: you don't put a 4 months old baby on a diet!!

Plus you don't compare breastfed babies with non breastfed babies because breastfed babies follow different curves. Look at the WHO curves on the internet (Workd Health Organization) to see whete your baby fits.

I breastfed my baby on demand and he would nurse every hour during the day for the first 4 months. I breastfed him full time for 4 months and part time until he was 13 months old. I never said no. He was chubby. He is now 2.5 years old and perfectly normal height/weight.

Follow your instinct. You may want to consult a breastfeeding consultant: they know way more about breastfed babies than most pediatricians.
well congrats on the birth of your baby ...I am thinking that maybe the doctor meant less breast feeding ? How often does he breast feed?
On every 3 hours and if you don`t give it to him he screams very loud. You can`t delay the eating :)
well he is 4 months you can in fact delay it somewhat ,maybe play with him, distract him and make feeding 4 hours , does he feed in the night?Have you and your wife a weight problem is there any genetic factor you are aware of ?
I have to say, a Dr. suggesting you put a 4 month old baby on a diet is something that would concern me a little bit.  I agree with you, I'm not certain how you can do that.  I am never one to contradict a Dr.'s advice, but if this were me, I would seek a second opinion.

I will say that at 4 months, nursing every 3 hours is a little more frequent then the norm, so perhaps delaying a bit as Margy suggested?  It's likely he is looking for the breast more for comfort then actual food if it's that often?  Maybe instead of feeding every 3 hours, offer comfort in other ways such as cuddling, skin to skin contact, that sort of thing.  That may very well pacify him a bit.  But again, I would probably seek another opinion.

Where can I find this WHO curve? Please give me a link. Thanks for the answer.
Here are some: links: www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/cht_wfa_boys_p_0_6.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/who_charts.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/who_charts.htm#The%20WHO%20Growth%20Charts
it maybe a good idea to ask your doctor what he meant by diet he should have made it clearer, its possible he meant feeding very 4 hours...good luck  
What is the purpose of this WHO curve and how to calculate?